NewBeetle.org Forums banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've owned my 2007 VW NewBeetle since about 2010, and while she is my pride and joy, she is a royal pain in the ass.

For as long as I can remember, there has been evidence of electrical issues, although they seemed minor. I hit a bump and a blinker or headlamp goes out, hit another bump the next week and it comes back on. Currently, niether of my headlights work so I have to drive with my brights on.

Roughly every three years, my battery dies. Each time I get the alternator checked, and it always shows fine, and I am forced to get a new battery. My current battery is two years old, and I've had to jump start the car twice this week, taking it in tomorrow. But I am starting to think, what if there is an electrical issue draining the battery? I never leave my interior lights on, and when I tried to start it the other day, there was a clicking noise I heard before I even tried to turn the ignition.

Has anyone found anything similar? Any electrical issues that may not be found without looking a little harder for them? Something a shop may not find without investigating?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
2,471 Posts
not charging

I've owned my 2007 VW NewBeetle since about 2010, and while she is my pride and joy, she is a royal pain in the ass.

For as long as I can remember, there has been evidence of electrical issues, although they seemed minor. I hit a bump and a blinker or headlamp goes out, hit another bump the next week and it comes back on. Currently, niether of my headlights work so I have to drive with my brights on.

Roughly every three years, my battery dies. Each time I get the alternator checked, and it always shows fine, and I am forced to get a new battery. My current battery is two years old, and I've had to jump start the car twice this week, taking it in tomorrow. But I am starting to think, what if there is an electrical issue draining the battery? I never leave my interior lights on, and when I tried to start it the other day, there was a clicking noise I heard before I even tried to turn the ignition.

Has anyone found anything similar? Any electrical issues that may not be found without looking a little harder for them? Something a shop may not find without investigating?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.
There is a common problem with the Negative battery cable that go's from the battery to the car's chassis that's mounted right under the battery tray where nobody can see, of course VW did that on purpose.. LOL :p. If that's corroded really bad the battery would not be properly charged and you'd have all kinds of electrical issues. Go read the thread I posted some years back titled CAUTION in the 1.8t section it's got pictures and all on this problem.
The clicking noise you heard could have been the fuel pump priming which is normal as soon as you open the driver side door.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts