NewBeetle.org Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone.I own a 2.0 ltr 99 bug and i'm experiencing the following : recently the blue coolant temp light would come back on and flash. I researched this and was told it was probably a faulty coolant temp sensor. I ran like this for a few weeks and the light stopped coming back on and worked as it should, going out when the engine warmed up. At the same time as this i noticed the idle was not as smooth as usual with the occasional hesitation on accelleration and a strong emission/gas smell which is getting worse. I replaced the coolant sensor today and as the engine was running i checked the exhaust and noticed a black residue on the road which had been chucking out the exhaust.thanks for any info.

·
Premium Member
2,714 Posts
Well if the sensor told the computer that the engine was (constantly) cold, then the engine would rightfully run rich. Over a period of time that will cause a buildup of soot, for all intents and purposes.

The new sensor, though, would correct that problem.

-Des

·
Registered
2 Posts
I too had the problem with the smell. I took the car in for yet another window repair, which i found out it's true, the window warranty has been extended for 7 years, and they changed the O2 sensor, which was on the list for recall. Check it out if you haven't received a notice. You can take you car in and the dealer will check to see what freebies you are in line for.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts