NewBeetle.org Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Member For Life
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I don't know if anyone else has seen this yet, or if it has been discussed, but there was a short interview in AUTOMOBILE magazine in the January issue with Wolfgang Bernhard who is a member of the VW board. It's a small discussion concerning VW's product plans for the future and what's "in" and what's "out". There's not a lot of detail, but the bottom line is they are reporting that there will be no New Beetle Ragster and that there will be no New Beetle replacement. :mad:

·
<-----No More Beetle :(
18,312 Posts
I saw that. It made me feel like I was going to :hurl:
I really dont want to hear it. It makes me so sad! :crying:

·
Poopship Destroyer
12,736 Posts
Well how was it worded? The way you wrote it here it sounds that they just don't plan on replacing it, not discontinuing the NB. I've heard something like it before. The Ragster was a near impossibility. Remember the NB Dune? I thought that was cool enough to produce. They just need to work on their marketing. That's what's killing them. I can't remember the last time i saw a VW commercial that wasn't a Passat or a Jetta.

·
Member For Life
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
FineExampl said:
Well how was it worded? The way you wrote it here it sounds that they just don't plan on replacing it, not discontinuing the NB. I've heard something like it before. The Ragster was a near impossibility. Remember the NB Dune? I thought that was cool enough to produce. They just need to work on their marketing. That's what's killing them. I can't remember the last time i saw a VW commercial that wasn't a Passat or a Jetta.
Well, the way that the article was written it's really hard to say what their plans for the New Beetle are. There was no discussion at all concerning the Beetle. There were two lists of what was "in" and what was being scrapped. The New Beetle and the Ragster were on the "out" side of the equation.

·
Premium Member
4,319 Posts
Parts availability will not be a problem.

VW will continue to stock replacement parts for at least 10 years after production ceases which puts us to at least 2018-2020 at the earliest.

Personally I think the New Beetle has run it's course and it is time for the model to gracefully bow out. :)

Plus I want my car to be rare not common :D

·
Banned
2,553 Posts
buh bye new beetle...
buh bye shotty engineering.

i love my car, but it's time to graduate and move up in the world to something better.

·
Premium Member
611 Posts
The article definetly made it sound as though the New Beetle was done. I was kind of disappointed that they were going to go ahead with some version of the ragster though.

What I really want is a new version of the Karmann Ghia similar to the Porsche Boxter at half the price!

·
Premium Member
4,319 Posts
mentalVdub said:
the Audi TT... you're lookin at it!
Ya but its not mid engine... The Audi TT rox my sox but I too would love to have an inexspensive, classy looking, mid engine or rear engine VW sports car.

hehe ya I am also one of those people that thought the New Beetle should have been rear engined. :lol:

·
Member For Life
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Well, I for one think that they are making a mistake. They are "giving away" a very visual piece of their identity. The New Beetle helped revive their image in the U.S. It brought people back into their showrooms and got people interested in VW again. They should have utilized it as more of a showcase vehicle for their technology. Maybe make it diesel with an emphasis on high mileage. Touted the safety features more, etc. etc.

·
Tell your mom I said hi
444 Posts
As long as the Beetle is in production I'll have one. The NB is due for a redesign. VW has to make a business decision. Redesign the Beetle I'll buy one. Don't, I'll buy something else, probably not a VW though.

·
Registered
87 Posts
VDUBYA said:
Maybe make it diesel with an emphasis on high mileage. Touted the safety features more, etc. etc.

They did. 2000 New Beetle TDI 52 mpg highway. The masses don't seem to care.

·
Premium Member
276 Posts
NB TDi is tops

It is a shame that they're not pushing the TDi's. The NB TDi was listed as the top for fuel economy after the three hybrids, and what I've read indicates that the hybrids really don't do that well on the highway; they're optimized for city driving. The TDi should be generating a lot of business for VWoA in today's climate, but they're hardly importing them at all. (I had to fly 750 miles to get mine.)

Regarding a new Karmann Ghia: the NB is it, folks. They took the entry-level sedan (Bug) and put a sporty body on it: Karmann Ghia. In the '90s, they took the entry-level sedan (Golf) and put a sporty body on it (New Beetle). Having owned three KGs, I'll tell you that the NB is a hell of a lot more fun to drive!

I realliy don't believe that they are going to discontinue the NB any time soon. The 2006 model is a serious redesign. Not just the styling cues, either: the car is 1" longer and wider than the earlier ones, the 5-cylinder engine is new, etc. There's just too much new engineering in it to let it die after one or two years. I think they'll be with us for another five to ten, in their current form. Why have a follow-on when the original is so good?

·
Premium Member
3,650 Posts
This makes me happy and sad at the same time. VW is moving towards a more Mercedes-Audi-minded market, just one that does not have quite the same checkbook. They aren't interested in the young and fun crowd, they're really more wanting to appeal to the young and sophisticated crowd. That's the image I'm being presented with at the dealerships, anyway. The new beetle has had a good run. When it hits 13 I definetly see it going away, it'll likely close out with this decade, and be remembered as the hippie car of the 21st century; much like it's grandfather was the hippie car of the 60s. This excites me, because now only the real enthusiasts will remain.

·
Premium Member
2,484 Posts
Hi,

I Sure Hope They Keep Making the New Beetle for sometime, I have had so many cars, and I Finally found one I Love, and each time I Drive it, its fun all over again, and just makes you smile.

John K.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts