NewBeetle.org Forums banner

1 - 20 of 132 Posts

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i have a 1.8t that i rebuilt with new piston rings and rod bearing i was wondering what type of engine assembly lube would you guys prefer or can i just use lucas petrolium oil on the rod bearings

·
Registered
4,271 Posts
Merry Christmas to you as well!

I don't know about Lucas oil so I don't know if it would be sufficient to act as an assembly lube. Liquid Moly Made in Germany is pretty good stuff.
Volkswagen Golf IV 1.8T > Search > LM3010 > ES#3317 Assembly Lube - LM3010

For use in assembling all VW engines, Gas or Diesel. This product is a must when assembling any VW engine, use it on Bearings, Journals, Bushings, and wherever metal comes in contact with metal. It helps prevent damage from occuring on initial startup.

Royal Purple and Amsoil and even Permatex make Assembly lube as well. Royal Purple Assembly Lube

For Break in Oil I would just use Mobil One 0W40 European formula or perhaps Castrol 0W30 Both are 501,502 and 505 VW certified.

Good Luck to you and have a very Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year.

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
i was hoping to start outting the car together today but i dont think i have any requierd assembly lube so i might hafto wait till after xmas

·
Super Moderator
20,813 Posts
Welcome Blu1.8t to the org.
Rebuilding an engine is one of those things on my bucket list- I'll get there one day. Have fun on the rebuild.

Take some pics mate- of the rebuild as well as your beetle.

Hope to meet you one day down the road:bigthumb:

And merry Christmas:xmas:

·
Registered
4,271 Posts
i was hoping to start outting the car together today but i dont think i have any requierd assembly lube so i might hafto wait till after xmas
Hey, you are in Louisville, KY. I am in Indy. Perhaps when I need to rebuild my engine you can assist me ;)

You can probably go to an autoparts store tomorrow and get some assembly lube. You may get by using regular oil but I would want to be sure especially after all that work and time you are putting into it.

Either way I wish you luck and a very Merry Christmas!

·
Premium Member
1,086 Posts
I would use an assembly lube it stays put better than oil for first start up. Also when I had a motor rebuilt they did not use synthetic for break in.
1. Its to good and the rings won't seat correctly.
2. Its expensive as the oil was replaced in 500 miles (with synthetic) and I mean 500 miles not 501.

Good luck on the rebuild

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
can i post pictures in this thread ? i have some uploaded i will take pics of the outside soon

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Hey, you are in Louisville, KY. I am in Indy. Perhaps when I need to rebuild my engine you can assist me ;)

You can probably go to an autoparts store tomorrow and get some assembly lube. You may get by using regular oil but I would want to be sure especially after all that work and time you are putting into it.

Either way I wish you luck and a very Merry Christmas!
sure i can help you out i got a k04 turbo and here soon i will be getting a 60hp wet nitrous kit upgraded injectors hopfully a fmic and a tune

·
Registered
4,271 Posts
can i post pictures in this thread ? i have some uploaded i will take pics of the outside soon
Sure, go ahead and post some pics. You probably will need a photo hosting site like Photobucket which is free and then link to the Url when you click on insert image above.

·
No NB Yellow Trifecta :(
5,634 Posts
Sure, go ahead and post some pics. You probably will need a photo hosting site like Photobucket which is free and then link to the Url when you click on insert image above.
Pictures can be posted directly to the org. No third party picture posting site is needed; unless that is how you want to do it.

·
Registered
4,271 Posts
Pictures can be posted directly to the org. No third party picture posting site is needed; unless that is how you want to do it.
WOW, I didn't know that. How do you post pics directly? This will save me a lot of time when I want to post something.

·
Premium Member
4,753 Posts
Click on the "Manage Attachments" below the "Reply to Thread", Then upload whatever from wherever, in pop-up screen. You can also simply right click copy, paste, sometimes.

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
20,813 Posts
WOW, I didn't know that. How do you post pics directly? This will save me a lot of time when I want to post something.
Yes, Yes, Yes, please post your pics via the org. We highly reccomended that orgers use the org to post/host their beetle pics. Too many times, there's many photo threads and threads in general, littered with this...

If your pics are very large and need resizing, there's a freeware available- VSO image resizer that works great. I've used it for a few years now and i'm very pleased with it. for the VSO Image resizer, CLICK HERE

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
whats the lug pattern on my beetle im not sure i want to get some black stillies and once im done with the engine im going to lower the car 1.5"

·
Premium Member
4,753 Posts
whats the lug pattern on my beetle im not sure i want to get some black stillies and once im done with the engine im going to lower the car 1.5"
You did just fine with the pics! 5x100.

1 - 20 of 132 Posts