VW Beetle Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My Beetle (2005, 1.6L, Cabriolet) has done over 100,000 miles and is burning too much oil (so failed its NCT/MOT/test) Garage suggesting changing catalytic converter without being sure this will solve the problem. I am considering getting the engine reconditioned instead (haven't got a quote for this though yet). I understand that the resale value of the car will only go up as these cars are no longer being manufactured. I'd be grateful for any thought or suggestions. I am in Dublin, Ireland. Thanks.

·
5/23/10 <3
11,357 Posts
Do you have smoke coming out of the exhaust?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hi, no; it's CO level at 'low idle' is 0.68% (pass rate: 30%); and at 'high idle' it's 0.25% (pass rate 0.20%) (HC is fine: 187ppm, pass rate 200ppm). I'm going to try chucking some Cataclean into the fuel and give it a run before the test. My previous mechanic (in the UK) used to do this and we'd get it through. It that still fails, I think I'll have to get new cylinders,/overhaul the engine...The car and engine are in fine fettle otherwise! Any further suggestions let me know!

·
5/23/10 <3
11,357 Posts
Have you scanned the car for any codes to see if there is maybe another cause for those results?

·
Registered
15,620 Posts
This video, is a great thing to check out; a basic infrared temp gun and a scan tool, can confirm a cat issue:

If you think, you are dealing with oil use and potentially ring issues, we have been working through a problematic 1.6L with smoking issues here (re-ring and hone; seems to have fixed it).

·
Registered
15,620 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Have you scanned the car for any codes to see if there is maybe another cause for those results?
Mechanic has in previous years, nothing came up. Certainly if I don't get through on the Cataclean I would expect mechanic here to do so before taking engine apart.

·
Registered
2006 1.6 Beetle Luna Cabriolet
142 Posts
If its burning oil, then it can be leaky valve stem seals or oil rings, Can u remove the spark plugs and see what they look like? U can also use something long and thin like a cable tie to dip it through the plug hole and see if any cylinder has oil sitting on top of the piston. What oil are you using? A contaminated or plugged cat will also could an issue if its burning oil....

1 - 8 of 8 Posts