NewBeetle.org Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
4,271 Posts
Copied from Wikipedia:

1.8 T

Volkswagen's ubiquitous 1.8 T engine, wholly developed by Audi, also known as the 1.8 20vT, has seen many improvements over the years, and lots of use in several vehicles, sometimes mounted longitudinally, sometimes transversely. Its cylinder head contains five valves per cylinder–a total of 20 valves, and all versions use a turbocharger.
ID code- AEB 1.8 litre T, 110 kilowatts (150 PS; 148 hp) — 1997-1999 Volkswagen Passat (longitudinally mounted),
ID code- AGU, APH, AWD, AWU, AWV, AWW, BKF 1.8 litre T, 110 kilowatts (150 PS; 148 hp) — 1998–present Volkswagen Golf, Volkswagen Jetta, Volkswagen New Beetle (transversely mounted),
ID code- AWM 1.8 litre T, 125 kilowatts (170 PS; 168 hp) — 2001-2005 Volkswagen Passat (longitudinally mounted),
ID code- AWP, BNU 1.8 litre T, 132 kilowatts (179 PS; 177 hp) — 2001–present Volkswagen Jetta, Volkswagen New Beetle (transversely mounted)

·
Premium Member
4,753 Posts
Copied from Wikipedia:

1.8 T

Volkswagen's ubiquitous 1.8 T engine, wholly developed by Audi, also known as the 1.8 20vT, has seen many improvements over the years, and lots of use in several vehicles, sometimes mounted longitudinally, sometimes transversely. Its cylinder head contains five valves per cylinder–a total of 20 valves, and all versions use a turbocharger.
ID code- AGU, APH, AWD, AWU, AWV, AWW, BKF 1.8 litre T, 110 kilowatts (150 PS; 148 hp)
Believe the OPer is asking for the differences between the series noted in red. ;)

And IDK the answer, we do know the coil set-up changed after the APH to a "coil on spark", facilitating four separate coils. Appears from the charts below, the differences occured for emissions value, compliance? Also note differences in Motronic Mgmt System used. Wiring diagrams also contain significant differences.

Perhaps someone more knowledgeable in this regard, will happen along, and can be more specific.

M.

Attachments

·
Registered
4,271 Posts
And IDK the answer, we do know the coil set-up changed after the APH to a "coil on spark", facilitating four separate coils.
M.
Actually, my APH has Coil on Plug. (Separate coils for each Plug). The coil design has changed slightly in 2001. Mine are still bolt on coils where others I believe are just of the push in type. I am sure there are other differences as well especially with the emissions. More hoses to replace :D

·
5/23/10 <3
11,094 Posts
The 1.8Ts were always coil on plug as far as I'm aware. Same setup as the VR6 motors. The only thing that happened was an updated design to keep them from failing (time will tell if they hold up better!).

·
Registered
4,271 Posts
The 1.8Ts were always coil on plug as far as I'm aware. Same setup as the VR6 motors. The only thing that happened was an updated design to keep them from failing (time will tell if they hold up better!).
Mine are still the original Coils and I checked with VW and they never had a recall on the design of the earlier coils only the new and improved ones :D

1 - 6 of 6 Posts