NewBeetle.org Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Block
247 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all, I am wondering if you can help me out with something. Today while my wife was driving the check engine light came on. The code is P0380. This is the code for the glowplug circit a/heater. I have found some info on this over at VW Vortex and it seems like the smartest course is to change the GP wire harness and the plugs themselves. Has anyone done this themselves? Is it difficult to do? Any information you can provide would be of great assistance.

Phil

·
180 Degrees out of faze
841 Posts
Not hard at all. If you plan on replacing both the glow plugs and harness, why not just start with the glow plugs to see if that is the fix. The least expensive glow plugs can be found at the NAPA store. Ask for the Champion brand plugs. About $11 each.
To change the plugs, first pull off the harness from the plugs. Then use a thin wall deep socket to remove the plugs. Put the new ones back where the old ones were, and you are almost done. Put a little dab of dielectric grease on the end of the glow plug before putting the harness back.
Most important thing is to have the DTC code cleared to turn off that darned CEL !

·
Block
247 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the info. I decided to go with the plugs from world Impex and I order both parts just to have them on hand and since I am generally pressed for time, I will probably just replace both the plugs and harness at the same time.

Thanks.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts