VW Beetle Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I’m getting a U0103 code and check engine light, also “PRNDS” lights in cluster are all flashing at same time. It won’t clear and I find very little information except no communovation with shift control module.
Where is shift control module ? How do I check it ? What do I check ?
it is a 2006 VW Beetle TDI 1.9l I think.
any help is greatly appreciated. I can’t move the car at all.

Thanks in advance !

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·

I don’t know a lot about automatic transmissions, I regard them as an unnecessary evil, but from what Ross-Tech says you should check the connections under your shift lever.
I’ve checked all the connections in the console. I’m wondering if maybe the trans module is bad ? But don’t know where it is or what to check.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I’ve checked all the connections in the console. I’m wondering if maybe the trans module is bad ? But don’t know where it is or what to check.
What started this was my changing the key fob case to a new one and forgot to move the transponder chip. The immobilized took it out. After I realized my mistake it started but all the shift indicator lights are flashing and I get U0103 code.

·
Registered
1,456 Posts
If that’s the case why don’t you disconnect the battery cables, hold them together for about a minute then reconnect and see if resetting the computer helps any.

·
Registered
15,930 Posts
If the hard reset doesn't work; viewing live data, using a factory level scan tool, can confirm the shifter assembly is working. I have found, these all fail eventually and require replacement.

I found, when i was viewing live data; vcds, showed that the shifter assembly was showing the selector position was incorrect and when disassembled, the shift selector internals had fallen apart, were broken. Replacement and resetting the kick down setting fixed that issue.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
If that’s the case why don’t you disconnect the battery cables, hold them together for about a minute then reconnect and see if resetting the computer helps any.
I’ll give that a try. I only disconnected the battery for over night and that made no difference. I didn’t think to short them together.
I’ll let you know, thanks

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
If the hard reset doesn't work; viewing live data, using a factory level scan tool, can confirm the shifter assembly is working. I have found, these all fail eventually and require replacement.

I found, when i was viewing live data; vcds, showed that the shifter assembly was showing the selector position was incorrect and when disassembled, the shift selector internals had fallen apart, were broken. Replacement and resetting the kick down setting fixed that issue.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I don’t have any way to view live data. Wish I did though.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts