NewBeetle.org Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
01 GLS.. The engine coolant light blinks.. I stopped driving the car.. It says in the book to take it to the dealer.. Any ideas of what could be wrong? :confused:

·
Co-pilot wanted
31 Posts
Means low coolant level. You can buy and top off the coolant yourself from the dealership. Car is relatively safe to drive locally (i.e. to get more coolant).

·
Registered
27 Posts
yes, it's low coolant...

you can also put a little water (according to the owners manual)in it if it's not too low since you have to go to the dealer to get the "special" coolant...

·
my turbo is bigger!!!!!!!
502 Posts
mweans your going to blow up and die!!!! sorry not really...

·
Registered
5,793 Posts
Check the level before driving it. Open the cap, you'll see the 2 wires for the coolant sensor, if they're not really fully submerged, add more coolant/distilled water.

Don't use tap water.
If it's CLOSE and you're int he south, you'll probably be fine with just adding distilled water to save some $. But if it gets low again, get some coolant. (G12 from the dealership or worldimpex.com or something, not the store-bought stuff)

There's a CHANCE it's not just low coolant. But that's very likely the problem.

worst case scenario, your water pump blew up and is no longer circulating coolant... but I bet it's just the sensor getting a bad reading.

·
a.k.a. porkchopzz4
890 Posts
Did I miss this info somewhere... what COLOR is it blinking? If red, then yeah, either low coolant or overheating.

If its blue, probably bad coolant temp sensor (Bentley manual states blinking blue is coolant system electrical malfunction)

1 - 6 of 6 Posts