VW Beetle Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Me and a friend just took my dependable BoB on a trip to birmingham alabama from southeast ky (around 320miles or so each way). He has one of those obd2 things that connects to a torq app on his android phone. So we set gauges up on it to look at while on the road. Eventually i'm going to add some more gauges, i just havent decided if i want to add pods, or cut out the mickey mouse head speedo and french in a different dash or something. but anyway, i digress

It was cold out the entire trip, it stayed in the 29-40 deg f range the whole time. But even back in the summer the numbers were still fairly similar, my engine coolant temp rarely every goes over 130-135 and when it goes under 120 that blue coolant light comes on in the cluster. Seems like the engine should run warmer than that, my friend thinks that maybe the previous owner took the thermostat out? I kind of agree with that because the heat doesn't get "hot" like you would expect it to, i mean it'll keep you warm, but i would expect more hotness in the air ya know.

What are your alls thoughts? Think the thermostat is gone or stuck open? Since its not overheating im not going to stress over it too much, but in the spring i'll pull it apart when i flush out the entire cooling system (prev owner put green antifreeze in it too and i want to go back to the pink/purple that it should be) and maybe relocate the coolant ball and a few other little things.

Thanks for your time

·
Registered
1,600 Posts
Your thermostat is either gone or stuck open. They often fail that way. Replacing the thermostat will regain your lost or lukewarm heat.

However if when you get in there you find the thermostat missing that could mean that the PO had a problem with overheating and removal of the thermostat was the way he dealt with that problem. If it’s missing and you decide to replace it and I would certainly recommend replacement you should keep a close eye on the heat for a few days. That torque app would be a great way to do that.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts