NewBeetle.org Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
:confused: I am trying to change out my coil pak (misfiring on 2)....but cant get the engine cover off I have a 1.8 however my engine cover syas 2.0 ..it is not the one with the three buttons on the top ...I can only find the screw on the left top my bugger is chugging please help

·
Registered
3,690 Posts
The normal 1.8t engine cover just pulls upward in the front 2 corners then the cover slides forward about 1 1/2 inch to release the "U" in the rear. No tools needed, no screws, just 2 pins that fit in rubber grommets.

I have not seen a 2.0 cover, but I assume it likely works the same way?

You may want to check YouTube to see if anyone has a video posted.

·
5/23/10 <3
11,171 Posts
I think it depends on the year too. I know my 2.0, which was a '99, had a few screws you had to undo to get the cover off. I don't remember on my GTI...luckily its been awhile since I've had to take the cover off!

·
Registered
22 Posts
The normal 1.8t engine cover just pulls upward in the front 2 corners then the cover slides forward about 1 1/2 inch to release the "U" in the rear. No tools needed, no screws, just 2 pins that fit in rubber grommets.

I have not seen a 2.0 cover, but I assume it likely works the same way?

You may want to check YouTube to see if anyone has a video posted.
I have the 00 glx 1.8t and . There is two 10mm. Nuts towards the front of the cover then raise . And pull off then. There is 3 6mm alen screws on the tray that holds the vacume box. Raise it to the side watching hoses. Then on more Allen bolt to free coil pack. Watch the plug it's a pain and mine was brittle and broke .

·
Registered
223 Posts
:confused: I am trying to change out my coil pak (misfiring on 2)....but cant get the engine cover off I have a 1.8 however my engine cover syas 2.0 ..it is not the one with the three buttons on the top ...I can only find the screw on the left top my bugger is chugging please help
The "20" on your engine cover is the number of valves. You have a 20 valve 1.8 liter engine. Common mistake. But yes, take that nut off of the stud in the left rear of the engine cover... then just pull up on the engine cover and it pops off. You may feel silly once you realize how easy it is to get off :p

·
Registered
2,505 Posts
x2

The "20" on your engine cover is the number of valves. You have a 20 valve 1.8 liter engine. Common mistake. But yes, take that nut off of the stud in the left rear of the engine cover... then just pull up on the engine cover and it pops off. You may feel silly once you realize how easy it is to get off :p
x2..:popcorn:

1 - 7 of 7 Posts