NewBeetle.org Forums banner

41 - 55 of 55 Posts

·
Registered
11,627 Posts

Well, it sounds like; you are finding more, more leaks and those need to be resolved. For new parts, going to your VW dealers parts dept.; will probably, end up with id'ing the part of a greater evap related assembly (which is probably expensive; cost prohibitive; however, it maybe worth checking out), look at the online etka parts exploded views or revisit a junk yard, pick/pull for best prices and get what you need, confirming the parts are exactly the same (try to get the same part #'s; year of new beetle, etc.). New gas cap or seal; maybe, a good idea, as they are cheap and maybe contributing to these evap related issues, trouble codes being thrown and doesn't cost much to replace.

By the way, what smoke source; are you using, to do the smoke testing with? It would be great; to have access, to a real automotive smoke test machine; making leak diagnosis, so much easier! :) You are definitely, making progress; be sure to document things with photos, as this can really help, the next person with troubleshooting, similar issues! Thanks! :)

PS: did you replace the engine speed/crank sensor? (be sure to buy genuine Bosch sensors).

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #42
Yes it's a real automotive smoke/nitrogen test machine. A friend of mine has an auto repair shop and I have access to the equipment.
I got to work for a couple of days but then I'll be back.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #43
I am back. I went and got a canister, speed sensor and the hose that keeps falling off. I'll be putting that stuff on tomorrow. I am praying that those things will fix my fault codes...

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #44
I have replaced the canister and the hose that kept coming loose which got rid of the p0442 and the p0411.
But now I got a bunch of new codes: 16706, 16503, 17978, 17553 and 17705. Except for the last one they all say intermittent. As if that wasn't bad enough the car wouldn't start this morning. I tried several times throughout the day but nothing. It turns over just fine but just won't start

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #46
Thanks. I will certainly give that a try but first I got to get the car to start up again.

·
Registered
11,627 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #48
I just replaced the speed sensor a few days ago and I had no problems for the next few days after I replaced it.
Where is the coolant temp sensor?

·
Registered
11,627 Posts
service manual info; sensor, is in the cooling flange, that comes off the head on the drivers side.

There are quite a few service manual pages; related to the coolant temp sensor, so be sure to click on "next" to advance to the other pages, needed to see all the info needed to troubleshoot, test, repair and replace the coolant temp sensor. Thanks.

·
Registered
11,627 Posts
Here are some videos, that should help give you some tech background on the failure mode of this part and info on the replacement process:

replacement: jetta show but location, principles are the same for the new beetle:

2.5L shown but this is a more walk through, type video:

·
Registered
11,627 Posts
As to the crank/speed sensor code; after replacement, it maybe a case, where the engine was left on, when you replaced/unplugged the sensor and thus, the trouble code or you forgot to clear the code, after replacement? Sometimes, I have had, trouble codes, not clear or come back; after a part is replaced and this was confusing (in my case a 02 sensor). I resolved this, by doing a "hard reset"; of the ecu, the code went away and stayed away. Always, be sure to use high quality oem sensors; in the case of VW, Bosch was the brand supplied to the VW factory and stick with Bosch, for the best results. A hard reset: is remove the positive/negative battery terminals; touch them together for a number of seconds and reinstall them, this will clear the ecu of any codes and can help, when things get goofy with these cars, it has been known, to cure a number of problems. Let us know, how the coolant temp sensor testing, troubleshooting and replacement end up, we can go from there. Thanks.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #52
It finally started again by itself but the MIL came back on. I cleared the codes and I am going to complete a drive cycle and check it again

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #53
2soft codes and no MIL on, all monitors where ready so I figured it's now or never. I took it to the smog station (CA) and I am super happy to report that I passed.
I am pretty proud of myself for changing the head (twice) and replacing the timing belt, getting the car running good again and passing smog all by myself.
Thanks for your support and help. I am sure I will be back here in the future.

41 - 55 of 55 Posts