VW Beetle Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone know which engine this is in my 2001 Beetle? I just purchased this for my daughter and it didn't have any cover over the engine to say what displacement it is.

Also, I see that in order to place part orders, often the parts places ask for which engine and letter designator the trim level is. This one has the leather and sunroof.

GL, GLS, GLX, Sport

Thanks for the help

Attachments

·
Registered
15,839 Posts
1.8 Turbo 4 cylinder; the fastest and most fun engine! Make sure; to get your timing belt and waterpump replaced, if it hasn't been done recently. I would also; call your local VW dealers service dept. with your VIN # and see if there are "open" recalls, there were a number of recalls on these cars. You might start; by getting a vw type scan tool, so you can read trouble codes (look on amazon for the vs450; a basic code reader for under $50). To learn more about your car; check out these free online manuals (your engine code; is proabably AWV):

Volkswagen Workshop Manuals > New Beetle GLS L4-1.8L Turbo (AWV) (2001) > Relays and Modules > Relays and Modules - Accessories and Optional Equipment > Alarm Horn Relay > Component Information > Locations

Lastly, you can find out info and trim line info; by "decoding" your VIN #, a number of websites off this for free:

http://www.vindecoder.net/car-brand-manufacturer/volkswagen (lists your trim line; amoung quite a good overall tech and info summary of your car.

https://www.google.com/webhp?sourceid=chrome-instant&ion=1&espv=2&ie=UTF-8#q=volkswagen vin decoder

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
A grateful owner

Billymade, thank you so much for your reply. Wow. I knew this car was fast, but I didn't know we had a turbo! Goodness. It is so quiet.

Thank you for the encouragement. My wife and I just read your reply and she said, "It's great to know there are still nice people around"

I wonder if you could answer one more question. You might have noticed the battery and tray are out. The fans are not running at all. I shorted the thermostat on the three hoses behind the radiator and the fans went fine at high speed. So I made the assumption the fan control module is bad. It's been ordered. Meanwhile, I noticed the ground cable had been butchered at the battery, so I got a replacement. But for the life of me, I can't find where the engine side of the cable attaches. Do I need to jack up the car and get to it underneath? Since the battery is out, I can't get the car on 2x4s to get a jack under it. Does the car jack raise the car enough to get stands under it?

Thanks again for your help.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts