NewBeetle.org Forums banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well "Drippy" has started to leak trans fluid worse so I parked him till I could get to him. Put him in my shop the other day and yanked his engine.
Found some disturbing things.
I noticed while driving it I could not get much heat out of the heater. Just seemed to be warm. After pulling off all the heater hoses I found out why. There was some kind of thick slimy crap in the heater core lines and in the trans cooler lines. Coolant in the radiator, what there was of it, was green. I have read whrere if you mix the G12 with other coolant they will gel. I now believe this to be true. Engine oil cooler was clear of slime. flushed it anyway. Pulled the trans cooler off and it was full of this crap. Put the garden hose to it and all of this garbage came flying out. Flushed until nothing more came out. Blew through it with the compressor and flushed again with hose.
I understand now why my front trans seal was crispy.
Went to the heater core and stuck a bucket under the one hose coming from the fire wall and shoved the hose nozzle in the other heater hose. Gave it a blast and nothing. Gave it another and water was squirting out around the hose nozzle and not going through the core but just a trickle. Continued this and all at once it puked all the slimy stuff into the bucket.
I said before I don't like to rag on other people's service/repair procedures but whomever worked on this poor thing had to be a complete idiot. Have never seen so many bolts missing. Drippy also had an oil leak coming from what I believed to be the rear of the valve pan cover. When I got the engine out my suspicions were confirmed. You know the little metal bars that go under the valve pan retaining nuts. Well this guy put it under the gasket. Well almost all of it. He put it on one bolt between the head and the gasket and the rest ran along the head at an angle jutting our from under the gasket on the other end. WTF! I don't know where the hell the other little bar for the other side is.
Pulled trans seal and installed new one. I figure this trans is on borrowed time. Can't afford a new one at this time so I will drive it like it is for a while.
Doing the timing belt,H2O pump, and tensioner while engine is out. Also replacing engine rear main seal.
Need to order a couple more gaskets before I put engine back in.
One question I have is, Can the catalytic converter pipe be removed with the engine in the car? I needs a new one. Old one is rattling and can't afford a new one right now. It looks to me like the flange on the end of the pipe that bolts to the manifold won't fit through the opening between the subframe and the body. Anyone ever remove one that can tell me.
I bought a Benteley manual and for what I paid for it, it lacks alot. Says nothing about how get cat and pipe out of car. Noticed a couple other places where it just kind of leaves it up to your imagination.
More later.

·
No NB Yellow Trifecta :(
5,639 Posts
... One question I have is, Can the catalytic converter pipe be removed with the engine in the car? I needs a new one. Old one is rattling and can't afford a new one right now. It looks to me like the flange on the end of the pipe that bolts to the manifold won't fit through the opening between the subframe and the body. Anyone ever remove one that can tell me.
I bought a Benteley manual and for what I paid for it, it lacks alot. Says nothing about how get cat and pipe out of car. Noticed a couple other places where it just kind of leaves it up to your imagination.
More later.
I have not tried it, but looking at it; I believe that the cross member would have be moved to get the exhaust bracket through the opening above it. I am having my CAT replaced next week, I will ask and find out.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts