NewBeetle.org Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just bought my 99 beetle today, and went to take it for an oil change, and was told that my Transmission pan is leaking, oil cooler gasket is leaking and power steering fluid is leaking.

It's a long weekend and all the service shops are closed till Tuesday, but I need this done before Tuesday.

Does anyone know of any "How to" guides on fixing these yourself?

·
No NB Yellow Trifecta :(
5,634 Posts
I just bought my 99 beetle today, and went to take it for an oil change, and was told that my Transmission pan is leaking, oil cooler gasket is leaking and power steering fluid is leaking.

It's a long weekend and all the service shops are closed till Tuesday, but I need this done before Tuesday.

Does anyone know of any "How to" guides on fixing these yourself?
Replacing Oil Cooler o-ring is simple; I advise getting it changed as soon as possible or this might happen... Take the oil filter off, you will need a 27mm deep well socket to get the oil cooler bolt off. Then gently slide the oil cooler off the oil tube and that is it.

Where is the power steering leaking?

All of my NB's are manual, so I have no clue about the transmission pan.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Replacing Oil Cooler o-ring is simple; I advise getting it changed as soon as possible or this might happen... Take the oil filter off, you will need a 27mm deep well socket to get the oil cooler bolt off. Then gently slide the oil cooler off the oil tube and that is it.

Where is the power steering leaking?

All of my NB's are manual, so I have no clue about the transmission pan.
I called a mechanic tonight and he's been working on the car since the previous owner first brought it to him, so he's familiar with it. I'm bringing it to him tomorrow. Hopefully he can fix it and not charge me like crazy. Haha

Thank you so much for your help though!

·
Premium Member
4,753 Posts
We'd all like to hear what is found.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Okay, so the mechanic replaced my transmission gasket pan, but it's still leaking.

I went to Mr. Lube 2 days ago and they said my oil was fine. I pull out my dipstick today, and it had next to no oil. :cuss:

So we now know that it's the oil cooler that needs to be replaced. But I don't know if I can still drive to work on Tuesday. It's about a half hour away. And I don't want to run out of oil and be screwed.

And the Mr. Lube technicians said if I put in Synthetic oil, then it'll just drip even more right through. :(

I guess make sure I have oil with me at all times?

I'm so discouraged.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Okay, so we thought it was the actual cooler, but it is the o-ring. And no one (In Canada) besides VW sells it. Booo

So this helps me a ton! :D

1 - 6 of 6 Posts