NewBeetle.org Forums banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My wife has a 2002 New Beetle with the 2.0L 4Cyl (AZG). It has an automatic transmission, 136,000 miles. Last year it received a new water pump and timing belt.About a month ago the check engine light started staying on, but now after driving for about forty minutes in clear weather, the check engine light blinks and the car starts shaking and will hardly accelerate and will die if you are idling in drive. If you pull over and turn it off for about ten minutes it will stop, but then after driving again it will start acting up after 10 minutes of driving. I had the auto parts store hook it up to read the code and it said all cylinders were misfiring. A reputable local VW mechanic told me it could be the engine coolant temp sensor, replaced it but the problem persists. I put a bottle of sea foam cleaner in the gas tank and oil according to package directions, no help there either. He said to try spark plugs then wires then a new coil pack if the wires and plugs don't help. I think I can install the coil pack, but it's about 195.00 for the part, so I hate to put a new one on and it not fix the problem. Anybody out there had this problem and know what fixed it for them? Any advice would be great. New to the forum, all advice is greatly appreciated!!

·
5/23/10 <3
11,095 Posts
If its misfiring, I'd start with plugs and wires. But coil pack is a common enough failure that it wouldn't surprise me if that's what was wrong. What was the code thrown before the CEL started blinking?

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Well to be honest I never took it in to have the code checked until it started blinking, so I don't know what the code was prior to these blinking CEL episodes. The blinking problem doesn't happen all the time, just every week or so now, and the other day when I had the codes read the CEL was on but it wasn't blinking because I had only been driving about 15 minutes. I wonder if the codes would read differently if I took it to an autoparts store precisely while the engine was shaking and idling poorly and the CEL is blinking. I have the plugs and planning to get the wires in the next couple of days. Thank you so much for your help!!

·
Registered
4,271 Posts
What are the codes? You said you did get them check when the CEL started blinking? Just wondering what they are?

I doubt that plugs and wires will help but it can't hurt to replace them. If it were one or two plugs or a wire it would show misfire in perhaps one or two cylinders not in all.
More than likely it is the Coilpack if it shows misfire in all cylinders. It is fairly easy to swap out.
Also did you ever flush and replace your transmission fluid? If not at that mileage it is way overdue especially for the
01M transmission.

But first things first.

Here are some sites where you can get a new coil pack:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/01-09-VW-Jetta-City-Golf-Beetle-2-0L-Ignition-Coil-Pack-New-06A905097-NEW-08-/360415287454

http://www.amazon.com/gp/offer-listing/B005GIS49K/ref=dp_olp_new?ie=UTF8&condition=new

http://www.amazon.com/Beck-Arnley-178-8325-Ignition-Coil/dp/B002E4ZY38/ref=pd_cp_p_1

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thank you again so so much.. I'm a male nurse so humans are my forte not cars, so im learning everyday on here thanks to you fine people! The codes were not read while it was blinking, they were read while the CEL was on but not blinking. I am purchasing a coil pack now, so I'll have everything ready to put on as soon as it arrives. Thanks for the tip on transmission flush, I will have it done this week as well. I just really hope the coil is the problem, fingers crossed! Most people seem to indicate that their ignition coil symptoms became evident while it was raining, but I'm hoping that even though this problem happens in all weather conditions, it is the problem and can be fixed with this new coil being installed! Also, the other day I noticed the hose going from the secondary air pump to the air filter was completely off, so I re connected it and secured it, the CEL hasn't blinked since then, do you think that's in anyway related? Again thank you so much everyone, The simple fact that I feel like I'm not alone and have your support while working on this car is wonderful!

·
Super Moderator
Cup- 2k New Beetle GLS/ 'Chino- 13 Beetle 2.5
20,846 Posts
If its misfiring, I'd start with plugs and wires. But coil pack is a common enough failure that it wouldn't surprise me if that's what was wrong. What was the code thrown before the CEL started blinking?
This was the issue I had with my beetle a year or so ago. Ck. Engine light blinking and running sluggish. Had it towed to WagenWerks, and it was her coil packs- #2 & #4, bad.

And yes, check your plugs too:bigthumb:

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Just a quick update, I purchased an ignition coil today and it should be here in 4-5 days. On my way home I ran by the auto parts store to have the codes read again so you all would have that specific information available. Also I wanted to see what, if any difference there was since I put that new engine coolant temperature sensor on, because the more I thought about it, the cat hadn't acted up since I put that sensor on. So they hooked it up and the misfire codes were all gone, the only code given was P0455- Evaporative emissions possible leak. The guy said that could be a gas lid needing to be tightened. So now the CEL is off, so well see what happens. It sounds way too good to be true, but could that coolant temp sensor really have been the reason it was misfiring after 40 minutes of driving and the engine getting warmed up? I guess time wil tell.. Thanks again everyone!

·
Registered
4,271 Posts
Yes it can. The Coolant sensor has been known to cause all sorts of crazy readings and cause havok with the engine.
The P0455 code that you have gotten could be your EVAP canister going bad or the Purge valve. The purge valve isn't too expensive but the canister is a bit pricey. I would wait and see if any codes come back and go from there.

Great Job! :bigthumb::clap:

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Alrighty, here's an update. So the evaporative emissions light (no flow) stayed on a few days but the engine was running fine. I thought for sure I had it cured, I had even driven an entire day in the heat with no problems. Well after being in it 30 minutes down the road it started sputtering again so I got the codes read while it was acting up and the CEL was blinking, the codes were.. Po300 po303 po301po404.. I have the ignition coil at my house I have waited to put the thing on though. I just absolutely don't want to put the ignition coil on it and that not fix the problem. I'm about to reach my boiling point, it's just so discouraging! Any help or advice you guys can offer will be greatly appreciated!

Thanks,

Justin

·
Registered
184 Posts
The P0300 is a multiple cylinder misfire code. P0301 is cylinder 1 misfire, the P0303 is cylinder 3 misfire, the P0404 is a cod e for an EGR malfunction. Are you sure it came up with P0404 or was it P0304?

Either way, I would replace coli packs and see where it goes from there.

·
Registered
4,271 Posts
Alrighty, here's an update. So the evaporative emissions light (no flow) stayed on a few days but the engine was running fine. I thought for sure I had it cured, I had even driven an entire day in the heat with no problems. Well after being in it 30 minutes down the road it started sputtering again so I got the codes read while it was acting up and the CEL was blinking, the codes were.. Po300 po303 po301po404.. I have the ignition coil at my house I have waited to put the thing on though. I just absolutely don't want to put the ignition coil on it and that not fix the problem. I'm about to reach my boiling point, it's just so discouraging! Any help or advice you guys can offer will be greatly appreciated!

Thanks,

Justin
Okay, so you have the new ignition coil at home but because you fear it will not fix your problem you are not going to install it to see if it does? I am sorry but that doesn't make any sense to me. :p

Just install the damn thing and be done with it.

·
Registered
4,271 Posts
The P0404 code is EGR related and usually TDI guys get that code more so than the Gassers.

Check your MAF sensor and perhaps clean it. It still be your Purge Valve or Canister.

But do the coil pack first and go from there.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Had the battery cable off, secondary air pump and bracket removed, and plug wires numbered in just a few minutes, going great and THEN with two screws to go I notice both screws are stripped, and I don't have the tools to get it out, and had to go in to work (3rd shift), so I've got to research how to get the screws out and go buy the stuff tomorrow morning and try again tomorrow afternoon. I appreciate everyone's help so far! You guys are awesome, especially IndyTom, your information is so helpful.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Got the coil pack in!! I know thats like you guys brushing your teeth, but that's equivalent to major surgery to me! Now well see if that fixes her, checking the MAF sensor tonight, thanks everyone!

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Thank you so much IndyTom! I too have my fingers crossed and prayers offered! Your advice is so helpful, it may seem like just a post on some website to some, but your words of wisdom bring confidence and peace of mind to so many. I'll repost soon with an update in case anyone out there could benefit from finding out what eventually resolves (or hopefully HAS RESOLVED) this issue!

Justin

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I figured I would post an update on the beetle so people looking at it months or years down the road will know how it turned out! The car is running great! The ignition coil was the problem evidently. After buying the coil pack for $75 on eBay I put it on a few weeks ago and Lord willing, it fixed the problem for good. I've driven it daily for a few weeks including a couple of 2.5 hour trips in hot and cold temperatures and it hasn't triggered the CEL or started stumbling at all! The CEL doesn't blink but is still on, and I am still working on the P0455 code. I cleaned the MAF sensor and bought a new OEM gas cap and I am going to clear the code as soon as my reader comes in the mail (I thought it'd be good to go ahead and buy a cheap one online for future use). If the code comes back I'll have to figure out how to find/troubleshoot the purge valve, canister, and the EVAP system as a whole. Thanks to everyone, especially IndyTom, that guy knows his stuff! If you are viewing this in the future and have any questions about the signs and symptoms of my cars problem with the ignition coil please feel free to post on this thread or email me at [email protected].

·
Registered
4,271 Posts
Congrats! Glad you got your major problem solved. Hope you get the EVAP code cleared as well. Many times it is just the gas cap not being on tight enough. If that isn't the case check the lines going into the Purge valve and the Charcoal EVAP canister. Worse case scenario is that the canister has a crack in it. But lets not worry about that just yet. Hopefully when your new gas cap comes in and you tighten it by at least 3 clicks it will solve your problem. Clear the codes and cross your fingers ;)

Good Job with getting your Beetle to run normally again! :bigthumb:

·
Registered
153 Posts
" Just install the damn thing and be done with it."

You just gotta love IndyTom :D

1 - 20 of 29 Posts