NewBeetle.org Forums banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
←Blue or Purple?
147 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 1.8T 2002 NB Auto

My engine light came on at 34,440miles My NB still runs beautifully. It did this on a really humid day.

Things I have done out of the norm are put in Regular fuel to see if Gas milage changes. Actively accelerated below 3000rpm.

I have a faulty trunk latch. That while it "DOES" work. it makes a "Tick-Tick-Tick" sound after opening it.

Noticed that I have a blow off valve! lol (don't hear this to often on a Auto 1.8T, but noticed you hear it all the time on manuals, so I consider this normal) Sorry I'm a Turbo Newbie hehe I'ma Learnin!

My guess is it came on because I haven't taken it in to be serviced for 1 1/2 years. Since I bought it. Planned on taking it in for it's 40,000 soon. But I'm moving soon and begining to start school. (all personal, I know, but effects money :p)

Anyway, after I move I'm taking it to get serviced soon. You think this is something that can wait, since the car acts fine? Anybody have an ODB-II Diag in the Kansas City area? (another saving project I am working on lol)

Thanks for all your guys help!
XCman and BluMax

·
Bourgeoisie
309 Posts
So, uh, you haven't serviced the car for 1.5 years?

·
←Blue or Purple?
147 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
hmmm. Well I am mainly curious if Volkswagen has their cars turn on their Engine light if their cars haven't been hooked up to a diagnostic tool for so long or have not been serviced for awhile? or do they just go by error codes and concerns?

paultakeda said:
So, uh, you haven't serviced the car for 1.5 years?
Not at a Dealership no, I've been servicing it myself. Replacing and changing oil, filters, cleaning. doing the regular maintenance stuff myself.

·
Premium Member
580 Posts
more than likely it was the fuel you put in it and it tripped the light because of the low octane. i would go and have auto zone or pep boys run the obd on it and see what they come up with. they usually do it for free :)

but as long as its not flashing its usually something minor.

·
←Blue or Purple?
147 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
hmm didn't know chaning the fuel was going ot trigger the engine light :p

when I refuel with Premium again will it turn off. Or is it one of those things that stay on till I take it to the dealer?

Or can Autozone use their ODB tool to fix the DTC's?

·
Premium Member
580 Posts
they may turn it off for you but there may be a charge. usually if that is the case the cel will turn off in about 10 cycles, meaning cold to hot. but the scan should tell them exactly what it was, could just be a loose gas cap. did you turn it the 3 clicks?

·
Bourgeoisie
309 Posts
XCman said:
Not at a Dealership no, I've been servicing it myself. Replacing and changing oil, filters, cleaning. doing the regular maintenance stuff myself.
Oh, well then that's fine. :) For a second there I thought, well... you know what I thought.

Anyhow, the above are correct. Lower octane fuel causes the engine to pull timing, but if you were to floor it before it could adapt you would get enough knocking for a CEL to light up. It should go away once you refuel with 91+ and drive around a bit.

·
Registered
5,793 Posts
XCman said:
hmm didn't know chaning the fuel was going ot trigger the engine light :p

When you use a lower octane fuel; it ignites easier (at a lower temperature). I believe the lower octane also burns slower(maybe?). So it has to retard the timing (I think.).

That's what it's trying to adjust to. Our motors run with such a high compression, and they run so hot; that's why they really have us run 91 octane by standard.

You may also notice decreased gas milage with that lower octane.

noR

·
←Blue or Purple?
147 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Actually I have not noticed decreased gas milage with the fuel switch! BUT and this is a big one. I simultaneously changed the way I drive and actively accelerate so I don't go over 3000rpm.

Before I would accel at what felt comfortable to me and fast. Didn't race the engine but it's enough to cause a hard 3rd gear shift. (Keep in mind I have an auto) So I think altering my driving has given me better fuel consumption than the Fuel switch did. It was marginal. from 20mpg to 24mpg on 89oct.

Can't wait till I refuel and switch to 91oct and keep the same driving patterns :D

·
cyclehobby
3 Posts
Will the light go off putting in Premium? That's great if it will, but I thought you'd have to have the system reset.

I've heard that you can reset the light (sometimes)by disconnecting the positive battery cable for a few minutes. Anybody done this?

·
MST3K
28 Posts
Your problem could also be a recall in the beetle itself, I know that there are some recall on the older beetles that there was a recall. you might want to call your VW dealership and ask them about it, because that could be it. or have to do something with exhaust or fuel section to bring that light on too.

Tom Servo

·
←Blue or Purple?
147 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Tom Servo said:
Your problem could also be a recall in the beetle itself, I know that there are some recall on the older beetles that there was a recall. you might want to call your VW dealership and ask them about it, because that could be it. or have to do something with exhaust or fuel section to bring that light on too.
Tom Servo
hmmm, Somehow I don't think the light came on because of a recall. How would the car know a recall was put out on it when it was sold with the thought the car was okay?

Plus, I doubt Volkswagen has a "Emergency Recall Signal" that they transmit that the cars pick up on to notify their Drivers that there is a Recall on them! It WOULD be cool! lol

"Look, Theres a New Beetle Symbol in the Clouds! That could only mean one thing! Quick to the Beetle Cave!"
And all the NB's run to the nearest Dealer to get fixed....

:ha: :roflmao: I think a similar signal is sent out from Roswell...... But... It's only a THEORY!! :wink:

·
Registered
5,793 Posts
I think what he meant is that there might be a recall item that's causing this problem.

NB lights do not turn on, just to turn on. A sensor somewhere read something that was 'not correct' for that sensor. This triggered the light. That's the only thing that activates our CEL's.

·
←Blue or Purple?
147 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I'm sorry, but it sparked a phunny bone in me. I knew what he meant I just couldn't resist making a comical remark about it just for a chuckle :D

No harm done :)

·
Eine Kleine Panzer
210 Posts
CEL will turn off once the problem is corrected. I had a vac hose elbow joint crap out on my n249 valve and kicked a CEL. After I replace the hose joint and cranked the car, the CEL disappeared.
BTW, that is a myth that dealer "time" CEL to come to get you to come in for service. I have serviced both of my NBs for 2.5 years now with no such thing occuring.

·
Registered
4,397 Posts
Also, if the problem was the gas, like others have said, the light will go off on it's own. However, that code will still remain in the ECU until it's actually cleared.

So if you throw a CEL again sometime, that code will still be there, and can throw them off a bit.

1 - 20 of 37 Posts