NewBeetle.org Forums banner

21 - 37 of 37 Posts

·
←Blue or Purple?
147 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
well The light went off the same day I decided to get gas. So either lighter Octane gas floats ontop of Premium gas lol

or It was a small fuel knock issue that seemed to have fixed itself long enough to kick off the CEL.

At any Rate Premium is in it now. And have not had a problem yet. We'll see what my MPG with the better fuel.

with regular and altered driving I am at 23mpg before I was at 18mpg (this was prolley because I do all city driving stop and go and took off a tad to fast)

Here's to hopin that my Gas rate gets better :)

·
Registered
75 Posts
Hmm...I'm close to 39K and my CEL came on last week. It stayed on a day or so, then turned off, and came back on yesterday. I've put premium in the car from day 1, so that's probably not it. I haven't noticed any loss of performance, so I'll probably just hold off until my 40K service. Perhaps it's just changes in the weather? Super hot to kinda cool & now rainy.

·
MST3K
28 Posts
Hey sorry of putting it in wrong words. actually I'm a girl so guys can laugh all you want, least I know a few things because I had a VW for 3years until I had to give it up but I turned around and got a new and there some things that i remember what I've done to the beetle. Plus I was trying to help and learn more beetle things since there's no one to take care of my car except for me.

·
Eine Kleine Panzer
210 Posts
A faulty MAF P1137 kicked my light on at 49.5k miles no driving problems or loss of boost at all...VW covers the MAF under warranty so I'm getting it fixed for free. The ECU reset itself today and the light went off, but I'm still getting my free MAF since I know that is the problem. I would hate to have it crap out on me at an inopportune time and place.

·
←Blue or Purple?
147 Posts
Discussion Starter #27
Tom Servo said:
Hey sorry of putting it in wrong words. actually I'm a girl so guys can laugh all you want, least I know a few things because I had a VW for 3years until I had to give it up but I turned around and got a new and there some things that i remember what I've done to the beetle. Plus I was trying to help and learn more beetle things since there's no one to take care of my car except for me.
Didn't mean to offend you Tom Servo What you said struck a funny bone in me :) and I couldn't hold it in. I only wanted to give some ppl a chuckle :) Whether you was a girl or not was beside the point. I guess it wasn't as funny as I thought it would be :( :cry: :cry:

Also, with Premium gas and some highway driving I'm up to 24.85mpg (aren't calculators wonderful :D)
but let's just say i've gotten to the 25mpg mark :) Still on the look out for some more tweaks for better gas milage on a Turbo :D

·
Premium Member
98 Posts
CEL came on..

XCman said:
I have a 1.8T 2002 NB Auto

My engine light came on at 34,440miles My NB still runs beautifully. It did this on a really humid day.

Things I have done out of the norm are put in Regular fuel to see if Gas milage changes. Actively accelerated below 3000rpm.

I have a faulty trunk latch. That while it "DOES" work. it makes a "Tick-Tick-Tick" sound after opening it.

Noticed that I have a blow off valve! lol (don't hear this to often on a Auto 1.8T, but noticed you hear it all the time on manuals, so I consider this normal) Sorry I'm a Turbo Newbie hehe I'ma Learnin!

My guess is it came on because I haven't taken it in to be serviced for 1 1/2 years. Since I bought it. Planned on taking it in for it's 40,000 soon. But I'm moving soon and begining to start school. (all personal, I know, but effects money :p)

Anyway, after I move I'm taking it to get serviced soon. You think this is something that can wait, since the car acts fine? Anybody have an ODB-II Diag in the Kansas City area? (another saving project I am working on lol)

Thanks for all your guys help!
XCman and BluMax
Do not allow anyone or anybody to scan your car except the VW dealer with the VW's own VAG-COM scanner made just for our cars. Most all generic scanners cannot tell the user what the actual codes represent, only generic codes... it does not direct the tech. to the correct area or problem part..A scan by Autozone, ect is done by counter help only and they are not trained to use any scanner properly. This CEL light does not come on if you have not serviced or scanned the car for some time. It only comes on when the engine control module has detected a fault or a failed component. Other items that will trigger the CEL to come on are an incomplete seal on the gas filler cap. There is an O-Ring under the cap that seals it completely if you click it only once when tightening the cap. Just once.
The rear hatch release is working, you just need to adjust the black rubber spacers at each side. If you are having problems closing the hatch(like having to really slam it) than decrease the distance between the hatch and the opening. If it will not open all the time, adjust it the same way. This rear hatch can be adjusted to close so tight that the latch will not latch unless you slam it hard, or it will be latched so tight that the release will not release every time. The clicking is normal.
The 40,000 mile scheduled maintenance is an important one. Part of that service is a scan with the VAG-COM to check for any codes and if there are some, to fix them and then clear them and see if they re-appear.
Definatly use 91+ octane, preferably 93 like I use. The knock sensors on our 1.8 t's only come into play when the engine is above 2,000 RPM and at a load of 30% I believe. With 93 or 91, you can accelerate from 2,000 RPM with out any problems, it's just not as fast as from 3,000 RPM. This engine produces much of it's torque at very low RPM's.
Hope some of this helps a bit.... JK

·
←Blue or Purple?
147 Posts
Discussion Starter #29
about the trunk latch, it's not that it doesn't pop all the time. it does that fine. the ticking sound is definately from the latch mechanism.

It should only do this tick once and that's to release. But it sounds like it's releasing 3 times. but it pops the first time. It's a little difficult to explain. I think I'll save this for another thread. I'm looking into right now to record the sound to give you a better idea what the problem is. All I can say it's functional, just weird, and annoying.

·
Premium Member
98 Posts
XCman said:
about the trunk latch, it's not that it doesn't pop all the time. it does that fine. the ticking sound is definately from the latch mechanism.

It should only do this tick once and that's to release. But it sounds like it's releasing 3 times. but it pops the first time. It's a little difficult to explain. I think I'll save this for another thread. I'm looking into right now to record the sound to give you a better idea what the problem is. All I can say it's functional, just weird, and annoying.
Thats normal to hear the release mechanism "cycling" several times after the hatch releases. That is what those clicking sounds represent...JK

·
Premium Member
580 Posts
XCman said:

does it sound like a groan or is it definately a tick?

·
Registered
30 Posts
Vag-Com codes

Hi all!

Recenlty, about a week ago my check engine light went on..
I havent noticed any changes.. the car drives as before.

Today I have checked the car with the Vag-Com and got the following codes:
P1103, P1116 - Lambda sensor problems (low popwer, connection break) - I have already order it..:confused:

and third which worries me the most P1200 - Turbocharger valve mechanical problem..:mad:

have u got any experience with them?

·
wasting my time in Cancun
308 Posts
CEL came on in my NB 2003 2.0 the read code was
16518- P0134
O2 Sensor Circ.,Bank1-Sensor1 No Activity Detected
I did change the sesor and it was OK for a few days... and CEL came on again!
same fault code

·
←Blue or Purple?
147 Posts
Discussion Starter #34
John Koch said:
Thats normal to hear the release mechanism "cycling" several times after the hatch releases. That is what those clicking sounds represent...JK
No it's not normal, because replacing the actuator fixed the problem. Eventually the actuator completely quit. It should only make one grinding sound then a click of the latch releasing.
jackfrost said:
does it sound like a groan or is it definately a tick?
It was definately a tickig sound. After taking it out and looking at it. It was stuck in the OUT position. and was clicking trying to pull it back in. When it quit it was permanatley out. This does not cause a CEL to come on though.

·
Registered
11 Posts
My check engine light came on and so I was checking this post. i have a 2003 VW Vert and I use 87 octane. Is that a bad idea? I have had the car for a month and the dealer I bought it from (used car dealer, not VW) told me that any fuel grade is fine? Should I be using the 91 octane?

21 - 37 of 37 Posts