VW Beetle Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Whiskey Tango Foxtrot
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hi,

Recently bought a 2006 Beetle for my daughter. It is the 1.9 Diesel. Has 125K on the clock. Had a local shop do the timing belt. It needed the T-stat and sensor changed. I did that. I flushed the system with distilled water and i am about to fill with G13 from the dealer. I also had to change the glow plug harness.

So the engine light was on from before and i had the battery out of the car for a couple of days. Light is still on with the new parts so i was wondering if the light will eventually go off or do i need to get it cleared at the dealer?

Also is this what i should buy if i have to pay to get the light cleared anyway?

http://www.amazon.com/Reader-Scanne...id=1442242034&sr=8-1&keywords=vag+com+scanner

also when i was under the car there is a hole that has no plug and i can see what looks to be the flywheel. is it supposed to be plugged up?

·
5/23/10 <3
11,414 Posts
You'll need to get the car scanned for codes and see what it says. You can clear it, but if the issues aren't fixed, the light will return.

·
Registered
15,839 Posts

·
Registered
3,690 Posts

·
Whiskey Tango Foxtrot
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
VAG401 ordered billy, thanks

jfoj, i get 404 on your link.

Any thoughts on the hole underneath?

·
Registered
134 Posts
Go by Auto Zone and they will scan for codes at N/C.....They will not clear the code, but they will allow you to clear the code....

·
Registered
15,839 Posts
The codes are thrown; because the ecu detects a issue/problem, the code will come back, right away if it is a hard failure or it may come back later, if it is a intermittent issue. Sometimes a code will be thrown; if you disconnect something with the key on (e.g. Unplug a sensor or component, etc) or you could a issue that is interrelated and causing the code to come on. That's why you need to research the code and see what possible problems you maybe having. Many people will take note of the trouble codes and then clear them, and see if they come back. If they come back; and then investigation, troubleshooting is required to figure out what is wrong.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Whiskey Tango Foxtrot
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
i think my initial question wasn't clear. It wasn't that i didn't know what the code was. I had been to Autozone and they did tell me what it was. I knew it needed the parts changed when i bought the car.

I performed the repairs. What i was asking was will it take some time for the car to realize that the new parts are working properly and the light will clear itself or do i need to clear it manually

·
5/23/10 <3
11,414 Posts
I'm not 100% sure on that. I've heard that the light will go off on its own but the code will remain until its cleared. I've always just cleared codes myself after fixes.

·
Registered
15,839 Posts
I think it depends on the type of trouble code and sub system it is from. Some, seem to turn off after so many drive cycles (misfires, ignition issues, etc.) and others seem to be persistent (brake, airbags etc), until cleared. This seems to be the case but I don't know for sure. I have always had VCDS; to clear the codes, so I cannot give a definite answer. Maybe, it is related to whether it is a safety issue or not? :confused: I don't know for sure; if VW differentiates between safety or importance of the problem and non-safety issues but it would make sense, if they did. The code will remain in memory (in the ecu/readable with vw scan tool) but the light, may go off. Then, there are codes; that will not make a light in the speedo come on at all. I have seen this in the comfort control related issues, for example, failing window/unlock switches, window regulators, etc.

·
5/23/10 <3
11,414 Posts
Then, there are codes; that will not make a light in the speedo come on at all. I have seen this in the comfort control related issues, for example, failing window/unlock switches, window regulators, etc.
Heck, I had a code that was throwing me into limp mode and didn't throw a CEL.

I'd get a code reader to clear the codes, personally. Then there aren't any questions.

·
Registered
134 Posts
Wiring harness's go bad due to engine heat. They basically fall apart, just crumble and they will cause the CEL light to come on. Not sure if this was the problem with your harness, but since you replaced it you need to clear the code. As said before go by Auto zone let them scan and you clear the code. The light should stay off unless there is a problem in the wiring when replacing the wiring harness. You can talk about this for days, but my advise is clear the code asap and see if it returns. The wife's 05 wiring harness fell apart and caused a CEL....I replaced the harness and cleared the code and problem solved. CEL did not return.

·
Whiskey Tango Foxtrot
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
as said before i have the tool ordered to read and clear the code as Billy suggested. Should be here Monday.

The auto zone i went to said they don't clear codes, not sure why.

The harness didn't start falling apart until i was tearing the old T stat out. So i changed it out with a new one while i was in there.

·
Registered
134 Posts
In my earlier message Auto Zone will not clear a code, however they will let you do it if you wish.....

·
Registered
3,690 Posts
as said before i have the tool ordered to read and clear the code as Billy suggested. Should be here Monday.

The auto zone i went to said they don't clear codes, not sure why.

The harness didn't start falling apart until i was tearing the old T stat out. So i changed it out with a new one while i was in there.
Regarding SES/CEL/MIL (all the same light, some people/manufacturers call it different things) WILL clear itself after a specified number of run cycles depending on what the problem was and if the problem has not reappeared.

Usually somewhere between 20-40 run cycles and the light will turn off ASSUMING the original problem does not trigger again AND a NEW problem does not appear. This is why is is best to have a coder reader and monitor and pay attention to what is going on. I Log all codes and Freeze Frame data with date and mileage for reference.

The reason auto parts stores do not want to clear codes is they do not want the liability if someone comes in trying to sell a car with the SES/CEL/MIL on. If the code is cleared right before a test drive or sale, then the auto parts stores feel they may be responsible in some way. Kind of stupid as the parts stores usually sell the tools and they will let YOU use their tool in most states other than California and YOU can clear the code yourself.

As I mentioned EVERYONE should have an OBDII smart phone/tablet App and interface for $30 or less, if you want a more advanced tool, great, BUT something like VCDS requires a cable and laptop that you will not likely leave in your car full time. A $10-$20 interface can stay in the glove box and as long as you have your phone or tablet, you ALWAYS have an OBDII tool in the car for use on your car or friends and family vehicles. The smart phone/tablet App and interface pays for itself the first time you use it!

1 - 20 of 20 Posts