NewBeetle.org Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

I have read a few posts on this but I wanted some input on my own situation, before I go the garage and they suck me dry of all my money. People on here are usually so helpful, so I just want some insight before I go into the garage.

So I've recently had issues with my VW Beetle Automatic 2 Litre. The engine light keeps flashing and after a while of driving it will disappear, now I at first thought that it was just because I am not driving the car as regularly as it should be driven as it's an older car (2004 plate).

Now however, I realise this is definitely something more serious. I did have an RAC man have a look. He replaced the spark plugs and mentioned a minor issue with one of the cylinders. He wasn't very helpful and did not give me a full report.

The car runs perfectly fine after being driven for a few days without being left over night. However, now and again even after the spark plugs were replaced, the engine light returns and starts to skip again.

I just would like some help from you lovely people and some insight about what the issue may actually be ? As I've mentioned already I have done some research and seen a coil for sale from Euro Parts. I was thinking maybe I should buy one within the month and get that replaced?. I don't want to go through the garage in relation to purchasing any parts because they can charge an arm and a leg.

Thank you and sorry for the long winded post. I hope someone can help me x

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hi,

Well the RAC gentleman plugged it in and didn't get any. But I'm thinking maybe I should go to him again or the garage to see if I get any. What do you think it might be ? I need my car and can't afford not to drive it at the moment. The only issues it gave me while I was driving was juttering, but like I said before after driving it for a while it was fine.

Thanks for your initial reply.

·
Registered
11,782 Posts
Well, it sounds like you have a misfire issue; this problem generally comes down to a ignition or fuel delivery problem.
The next step would be to troubleshoot the misfires and narrow things down, to find the problem. Let us know, if you want to fix the problem yourself or have a repair shop do the work. We can go from there, thanks.

PS: are you in the uk?

·
Registered
2,172 Posts
A common problem that causes misfires in the 2.0 is cracks in the ignition coil case. It is pretty easy to check for. At night or in a garage look for sparks where the ignition wires end at the coil. If you see them happen while the engine is misfiring then the coil needs to be replaced. The sparks can be faint so you need to look in a darkened environment to see them.

The miss could be caused by other things as well, but this is common and easy to check for.

·
Registered
11,782 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I've had some issues with my log in details and therefore, hence the late reply. So I've had it fixed! Fingers crossed it will carry on running until it's time for a new car. Still love it though so that won't be for a while and yes I'm the UK :)

1 - 8 of 8 Posts