NewBeetle.org Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently bought a 2000 2.0 beetle knowing it had problems, it clicks when I turn the key over, but that's all. I thought I would put a socket on the crank pully nut and try to see if it would turn over, and it won't, is there a reason why it would not turn over like this other than it being locked up?

Thank You

·
Premium Member
4,753 Posts
Internal compression may keep you from turning it over by hand. Remove the spark plugs.

A simple clicking, trying to start, could indicate a poorly charged/bad battery, a bad connection, a dirty/corroded terminal on the battery, a bad starter, or more. Why do you assume the engine may be locked up? Not impossible, but very unlikely.

MORAV

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Info

Well the starter sounds as though it's trying to engage but wont turn it over, I took the plugs out and still can't turn the engine over.

·
Super smart senior member
857 Posts
If you have oil in the engine I doubt it is locked up, one thing you have to realize is turning the engine you have to turn EVERYTHING, the compressor, alternator, timing, water pump, etc etc etc and without a 5 foot breaker bar that might in itself be impossible.

A rapid click as MORAV said is indicative of a bad batter connection, a single click is usually a bad starter solenoid. Check the battery and specifically the negative terminal connection.

·
Premium Member
4,753 Posts
I've regularly encountered this problem with my GMs with side mount battery posts, but it's always corrosion on the Pos (+) Post. AND not the gunky mess you can see, without tacking the terminal off the post, and maybe not even then, but cleaning it always solved the problem. While you've got them off, cleaning them, put some di-electric grease on them.

M.

·
Registered
512 Posts
Here's my suggestion:

1. remove the spark plugs, take a look at the plugs to see if there is any mechanical damages. Then use a long piece of wood stick or something like that(a chopstick will work, a screwdriver will also work), stick into each cylinder to see if there is any water or oil in it.
2. remove the serpentine belt and try to rotate the alternator, tensioner pulley, a/c clutch and power steering pump to see any of them seizes.
3. now try to turn the engine with your socket and breaker bar but don't put too much force. If it turns good, then get everything back and see if the battery has enough voltage. If it doesn't turn easily, it might indicate a broken timing belt. take off the timing belt cover to take a look. If the timing belt is good, then there must be something wrong with the crankshaft and the engine needs rebuild. If the timing belt is bad, then the cylinder head might need to be taken off for valve service(this costs a lot).

·
Jitterbug
1,086 Posts
You should be able to turn it with firm pressure using a 12" handle or breaker bar. 5ft is way excessive, if you need that she is effectively seized.

Try rocking both ways, if the crank doesn't tur at all, either way, then there is some mechanical damage. Remove ancilliaries until she frees up....

·
Super smart senior member
857 Posts
You should be able to turn it with firm pressure using a 12" handle or breaker bar. 5ft is way excessive, if you need that she is effectively seized.

Try rocking both ways, if the crank doesn't tur at all, either way, then there is some mechanical damage. Remove ancilliaries until she frees up....
5 foot was an exaggeration.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts