NewBeetle.org Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2000 1.8 turbo, the car developed a miss one morning , I took the plugs out and 3 looked the same and one was real clean . I put the new plugs back in and had the same miss, so I then unhooked the coil that was on the clean looking plug and the car ran the same. I believe I have a bad coil but I really dont know anything about VW's. Is there a test to ck the coil. Any tips would be appreciated.
Thanks Burky

·
my turbo is bigger!!!!!!!
502 Posts
switch the the coil and see it it missfires in that cylinder.... and not in the same one

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I moved the suspected bad coil to another cylinder and the car ran the same with the same miss, weather it was plugged in or not. Can you take the plug out and put it in the coil without having the plug in the cyl, and ck to see if it is firing or do you have to ground the coil .

·
Keep It Real
1,746 Posts
Burky said:
I moved the suspected bad coil to another cylinder and the car ran the same with the same miss, weather it was plugged in or not. Can you take the plug out and put it in the coil without having the plug in the cyl, and ck to see if it is firing or do you have to ground the coil .
The coils for that year and model are about $20 each at the dealer, although 2000 New Beetle 1.8t's didn't suffer from the faulty coil syndrome experienced in later models, at that price I bought a set just to keep in my garage as backup.

You really should gain access to a scan tool and check for DTC's stored in the ECU if any, also you should log cylinder data from blocks #15 & #16 in the scan tool, these things may tell you exactly what is going on with your engine and lead you to a resolution.

If no DTC's are stored then you could always buy a single new coil and see if that takes care of the problem, if all else fails then take it to the VW dealer because you don't want drive around too long with that miss.

·
Keep It Real
1,746 Posts
Burky said:
I would not recommend that you do this.

·
new name, same old fart
3 Posts
Ditto on purchasing the VAG-COM. Your best dollar investment.

I've had a recurring problem with my coils. Likewise, I've seen many 2000 1.8T cars with their coils replaced.

Sounds like a degraded coil (as opposed to a catastrophic failure). May not throw a DTC. Usually occurs under load. Replace suspected coil.

There is a test to check the signal to the coil using a test LED. This came in handy when a mouse chewed through the wire to my #3 coil (now protected by a metal casing). I hate meeses to pieces.

·
Premium Member
4,315 Posts
Burky said:
what is a VAG-COM
Volkswagen Audi Group - COMmunicator... or something like that. :lol:

Basically it's way of communicating with the ECU thru your OBD II port under the dash board.

www.ross-tech.com makes an excellant unit with a great program. I have one so do quite a number of people in this region. Let me know if you need my help.

Tom aka Fowvay

PS...The answer to your question from earlier... Yes indeed I do remember meeting you, your father and your reflex yellow New Beetle. :)

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
thanks for all the info , I put a new coil on it and all is well, the wife is back on the road. This is a very helpful website.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts