NewBeetle.org Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
2003 Beetle 2.0....Engine sounds fine idling or cruising down the highway but when under high acceleration or strain (like climbing a hill) a loud roar develops. Not a metallic sound or a rattle or shaking, just a roar. Once you decrease acceleration and start cruising again the noise is gone. Would a new timing belt have anything to do with this?

·
Registered
11,428 Posts
Well, that is very general description of a roaring noise; you might make a video (upload to youtube; share link) and that way, we can hear what you are experiencing. A scan for trouble codes; is always a good idea, share any you find.
The one thing i can think of; would be the engine temps getting higher under load, going up a hill and the cooling fans kicking on in high mode or maybe the fans are noisy from being old, worn, out of balance and/or the bearings are on the way out?

Many possible reasons for the. noise; you might hook up a scan tool and view the coolant temps, when the noise gets loud; see if there is a correlation between the cooling fans and the engine temps. If you have a scan tool like vcds by ross tech; you can do output tests and activate the fans. You can jumper the fans and run them as well; see if the sound is the roar you are experiencing. If your cooling fans are noisy, worn out and need replaced; the oem VDO, sells a whole new assembly for a affordable price.

There are other possible areas that could be noisy, tires, bearings, axles, etc; hopefully your video, live data and observing things, can help narrow down the problem.

Do you have access to a scan tool; which one and is it vw specific? Thanks.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks Billymade...do not have access to VW specific scanner but no faults show up on the one I have used. I have new tires, cooling fans are good, wheel bearings are good.Will see what I can do about a video. I may have overstated the noise factor, it is more like a very loud hum than a roar

·
Registered
11,428 Posts
Post up a video, motion or increase of speed; would tend to make me think of bearings or axles. Specific to load or higher engine. temps: would make me think if the cooling fans.

How many miles in the car?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The car has 98000 miles on it. My cooling fans sound fine sitting in the driveway and running when cooling down. Cant say what might be going on with them should they kick into higher speed. the noise I refer to is there even when just cruising down the highway (no noise) and then accelerating to a higher speed (noise). Once I get to the speed I want and level out the noise is gone.

·
Registered
11,428 Posts
Yeah, a video, would be helpful; to be able to hear what you are referring to. Any trouble codes, live data (cooling temps) or problems with how the engine is running? Do you have a auto or standard transmission? What specific scan tool; are you using? It maybe possible, that the engine and/or trans mounts; are worn out, sloppy, loose and causing the noise. Post that video and maybe we can understand the noise, you are experiencing. Thanks.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts