VW Beetle Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
177 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, guys,

I am going to change the engine oil for my Beetle. I am wondering whether we should stick with LONG LIFE fully synthetic oil or just fully synthetic oil is OK? My owner manual requires engine oil change once a year/10,000 KMs whichever comes first.If I use fully synthetic oil, can I still have engine oil change once a year since I don't drive my Beetle that much ( Basically, it is my summer/weekend car).

I once went to VW dealer and they showed me the engine oil for
all VWs they service. It is 'Professional, Long Life Full Synthetic Oil' which seems to be better than 'Long life full synthetic oil' because of extra 'Professional'...

I can only get the professional/long life/full synthetic oil from local VW dealers.I don't think I need to use their oil but
Long life full synthetic oil shall be OK. But What is the difference between 'Long life' and 'Non-long life' full synthetic oil? Need help.:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

Attachments

·
Registered
2,300 Posts
You should use an oil that meets the VW spec. Over here there are some that have it marked in the small print on the label. They will be synthetic oils with a 0w-40 or 5w-40 weight.

Synthetic vs. non-synthetic does not affect the service life of the oil. Oils labeled "long-life" have extra additives that allow them to be used to higher mileages, not longer time. Since you are not using oil to a high mileage there is no reason for you to use a "long-life" oil.

An infrequently used vehicle could be considered "severe usage" for the oil and need shorter change intervals as a result. When you do drive, be sure that you get the engine fully warmed up before you shut it off. You would need to drive something like a minimum of 20km to do this.

Here is a link with everything you could possibly want to know about engine oil:

Motor Oil 101 - Bob is the Oil Guy - Bob is the Oil Guy

·
Registered
712 Posts
None of the oils in you pictures meet VW spec. Look for Mobil 1 0w40 or Castrol Syntec 5W40. These are the easiest to find at places like Advance Auto, Autozone, Oreilly . There are others but make sure they meet the VW spec. Some quality oils don't meet the specs and it is often debated, I personally use one of them into TDI (Rotella T6 5W40) but haven't put it in my Passat or Audii.

·
Registered
100 Posts
When I worked for VW their oil was a Castrol product. It is not so much the oil but the filter will break down with time.

·
Registered
177 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
When I worked for VW their oil was a Castrol product. It is not so much the oil but the filter will break down with time.

The local VW showed me 5W-30 Professional Long Life Full Synthetic Oil by Castrol. I am asking what difference between
full synthetic long life oil and full synthetic oil. I am not asking specific grade of oil.Supposed
both are Full Sythetic Castrol oil; one is long life; the other is non-long life.
:confused::confused::confused::confused:

·
Registered
177 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
None of the oils in you pictures meet VW spec. Look for Mobil 1 0w40 or Castrol Syntec 5W40. These are the easiest to find at places like Advance Auto, Autozone, Oreilly . There are others but make sure they meet the VW spec. Some quality oils don't meet the specs and it is often debated, I personally use one of them into TDI (Rotella T6 5W40) but haven't put it in my Passat or Audii.

:confused::confused::confused::confused::confused::confused:

Castrol EDGE 5W-30 | Features and Recommended Engines | Castrol EDGE
Here is the website of UK Castrol Oil 5W-30. You also may check out the attached pictures.
On the website,it clearly states that the oil 5W-30 could meet the requirement of VW 503 00
which is the specification by my owner manual. My owner manual says: Vehicles with longLife
Service needs oil to meet VW 503 00 and VW 504 00; without LongLife Service: VW 501 01;
VW 502 00; VW 504 00:D:D

Attachments

·
Registered
177 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
You should use an oil that meets the VW spec. Over here there are some that have it marked in the small print on the label. They will be synthetic oils with a 0w-40 or 5w-40 weight.

Synthetic vs. non-synthetic does not affect the service life of the oil. Oils labeled "long-life" have extra additives that allow them to be used to higher mileages, not longer time. Since you are not using oil to a high mileage there is no reason for you to use a "long-life" oil.

An infrequently used vehicle could be considered "severe usage" for the oil and need shorter change intervals as a result. When you do drive, be sure that you get the engine fully warmed up before you shut it off. You would need to drive something like a minimum of 20km to do this.

Here is a link with everything you could possibly want to know about engine oil:

Motor Oil 101 - Bob is the Oil Guy - Bob is the Oil Guy
:runnethov
Thank you for the link you recommend. I will read through the article for sure.:p

·
Registered
2,300 Posts

·
Registered
712 Posts
In the USA the only 5w30 would be to VW 507 spec. Most 5W30 do NOT meet this spec. Our oils are VERY different from EU oils.

·
Registered
712 Posts
The oil requirements are in your owners manual. If the bottle does not have the spec on it, then is does not comply with the spec. It's not hard to find the correct oil, but it does take effort and attention. Running the incorrect oil is a gamble.

·
Registered
950 Posts
The "long life" thing sounds like a pure marketing gimmick intended to get people to pay a bit more for the same oil in a different container.

They don't use that term here in North America, instead the shills came up with "High Milage" as their oil trickery.

For warranty purposes you need to do the following, in general:

- Use oil that meets or exceeds the requirements as specified in your owners manual
- Use oil filters that meet or exceed the requirements as specified in your owners manual
- Document your purchase of the oil and oil filter, and the date on which you changed the oil.

In your case, the "long life" oil will fall into the exceeds the requirements. You won't hurt your vehicle using it, but it likely won't do much extra for you if anything.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts