VW Beetle Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello Forum Members

I recently bought a 2.0 8V 2000 Beetle for my son and bringing up into shape whilst he learns to drive.

I have a problem in that it suddenly will not start unless the camshaft position sensor is disconnected. I've done a lot of searching and tried to eliminate the problem but it still remains and I'm a bit stuck as to what the issue might be.

Initially I was getting some codes relating to implausible engine speed when the problem first showed up.

I replaced the camshaft position sensor and at the same time the cambelt and tensioners, also the ignition unit, plugs and leads. The timing is spot on and the timing marks been checked repeatedly.

I have checked the voltage at pins 1 and 3 of the CPS plug and it reads 5V. I also get 10V on pin 2. I have backprobed pin 2 whilst connected and turned the engine over and I get a variable reading of 10V and a very low voltage as the camshaft spins.

I don't get any codes show up or engine lights when the CPS is plugged in. I get a code that the camshaft position sensor signal too high if unplugged.

The car will start if the CPS is unplugged. I can only think that the new replacement CPS is faulty or the ECU is at fault. All signals seem to be fine and the ECU seems to be picking up fault codes if they exist so wondering if this would really be an issue.

Anyone have any suggestions for further diagnosis?

Many thanks, Paul

·
Registered
15,839 Posts
Well, first: please post any trouble codes you are getting; not the descriptions.

The camshaft position sensor and the "speed" or crankshaft position sensor, are two different things. Intermittent no start and stall/dying problems; are classic signs and symptoms of a speed/crank position sensor failure.

What brand camshaft position sensor did you buy? VW oem were Bosch; I would recommend sticking to Bosch sensors.

Here are the service manual info; for testing and replacing cam sensors:

Volkswagen Workshop Manuals > Beetle L4-2.0L (AEG) (2000) > Sensors and Switches > Sensors and Switches - Powertrain Management > Sensors and Switches - Computers and Control Systems > Camshaft Position Sensor > Component Information > Locations

As for the speed/crank sensor; do you have a stick or auto transmission?

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for replying

I think I maybe confusing things by referring to the camshaft position sensor as the CPS. I am only referring to the camshaft position sensor here and not the crank position sensor.

When I unplug the camshaft sensor the car will start and will generate a

'16727 - camshaft position sensor (g40) signal too high' which I expect and suggests the ECU is working OK.

After clearing the codes and the camshaft sensor is connected, the car will not start and no codes are generated.

Admittedly I put on a cheap replacement sensor although there are no codes being generated such as implausable signal etc,. Tomorrow I will purchase a genuine Bosch replacement and try that.

Thanks

1 - 3 of 3 Posts