NewBeetle.org Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Good-bye Curby...
8,727 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
going to start up this thread again.

i have engine ping, or so i've been told by my mechanic. he's suggested i try a higher octane fuel and some octane boost. i've done both. i did a lot of reading about engine ping and i've compiled a document summarizing what i've found. some of it applies to our NBs, some does not.

anywho, i still have a slight ping on hot days when the car is well warmed up. i've switched to 89 octane gas, but it seems the 89 octane around here has ethanol. i don't know if this means anything or not.

i'm still looking for more information and / or people who have this problem. i guess my thought is this: 87 octane fuel didn't cause engine ping, and even though it might quiet it down, it's not fixing the problem. what is causing my engine ping?

here was my original thread:
http://forums.newbeetle.org/showthread.php?s=&threadid=54778

Attachments

·
Good-bye Curby...
8,727 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
bump!

anyone else have a problem like this? any suggestions? the only real "solution" i've been told to try is higher octane fuel and a carbon cleaner something or other.

i am hoping since there are some new faces on here, maybe someone else can help me out here!

·
a.k.a. porkchopzz4
890 Posts
Here is a scary thought... maybe the car is actually running hot (maybe you're running on only a partial water pump impeller) and so with it running hotter, it is more prone to predetonation (pinging).

Uhm... just to give you something else to worry about. :)

·
Good-bye Curby...
8,727 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Porkchop said:
Here is a scary thought... maybe the car is actually running hot (maybe you're running on only a partial water pump impeller) and so with it running hotter, it is more prone to predetonation (pinging).

Uhm... just to give you something else to worry about. :)
wow, thanks for that one! :(

so you think checking out the water pump impellar would be a good idea then? HUH? justin, you are so smart, but you're making me nuts here! :p i don't even know where to start with this one.

besides, my engine ping for the most part is gone now. the weather is cooler and i think that helps. i also noticed i HAVE been using 89 octane all this time. 89 here is the ethanol blend, and it's always the cheapest. maybe i should just try out 87 for awhile. crap, i don't know.

i give up. :mad:

·
a.k.a. porkchopzz4
890 Posts
callisto9 said:
wow, thanks for that one! :(

so you think checking out the water pump impellar would be a good idea then? HUH? justin, you are so smart, but you're making me nuts here! :p i don't even know where to start with this one.

besides, my engine ping for the most part is gone now. the weather is cooler and i think that helps. i also noticed i HAVE been using 89 octane all this time. 89 here is the ethanol blend, and it's always the cheapest. maybe i should just try out 87 for awhile. crap, i don't know.

i give up. :mad:
If you're going to keep this car, get a VAG-COM! For instance, with a VAG-COM, you could see exactly what temp it is running when you get the pinging. You could also see the lambda value (which indicates how close to ideal the air/fuel mixture is). I know you're a cheap as me, but it will save you money in the long run.

·
Good-bye Curby...
8,727 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Porkchop said:
You could also see the lambda value (which indicates how close to ideal the air/fuel mixture is). I know you're a cheap as me, but it will save you money in the long run.
ok, you made that term up. "lambda"?! i kid.

yes, i am cheap. i have it on my list of things to buy when i have money someday (the vag). i plan on keeping this car until it biodegrades out from under me. ;)

·
180 Degrees out of faze
841 Posts
Yes lambda is a real term, as in the Saab lambdasond cat converter.
To see if the water pump is working, start the car, open the hood, and look at the round water overflow tank. Located on the back left of engine bay. Do you see coolant flowing? Yes? A good thing.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts