NewBeetle.org Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK, 2002 VW beetle Turbo S 180hp 1.8l 159000 miles on OD.
Timing belt broke before the service point at about 90000 miles the top part of the engine was rebuilt.
Had issues with the throttle body connector and it was replaced. Throttle body has been replace twice (for no reason other than that was supposed to solve the problem which was actually being caused by the connector).
New problem: at full acceleration when you hit 5500rpm the engine shuts down like the traction control has activated. Shift gears and you are off and running again until 5500rpm. Now this does not happen every time. It seems only to happen at the most inopportune times (like when entering a freeway and a semi is closing on your rear). This problem does not light any lights or turn on the check engine light. With the mechanic riding in the car with his computer, it shows “engine knock”. That would cause the spark to retard and slow the engine. Engine has two knock sensors. Both have been replaced and the problem is still happening.

Anyone know of anything else on the 180hp 1.8l engine had would signal a spark retardation or cause the engine to reduce power?

·
5/23/10 <3
11,122 Posts
Coil packs?

·
Registered
18 Posts
What fault code(s) do you have? Verify MAF operation and make sure there are no vacuum/boost leaks.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
OK, some updates. Replaced the fuel filter and nothing changed. Went through the MAF cleaning process and a new air filter and nothing changed (could still be a problem with the MAF, may try another just to see).
Problem does not seem to occur in the first 5-10 miles of driving. Possibly something to do with heat.

·
HP Technician
449 Posts
At what RPM should the computer governor kick in? Just curious. I believe the 'red line' in my turbo s is 6.5k if I recall but never attempted to get near it or past it.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Red line starts a 6.5k and engine throttle back is about 6.8-7k.
I have hit the limit about twice.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts