NewBeetle.org Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am working on my daughter's 99 VW Beetle (2.0/AT) and trying to replace the drivers side motor mount. The mount was basically broken into pieces. I think it may be from when she sideswiped a tree last year (don't ask how). I was able to get the old pieces out, but am having issues getting the holes on the new mount to line up with holes on the frame. it feels like there is tension that is pulling the engine towards the driver side firewall like if there was a rubber band around it. One suggestion was that maybe the CV axle also got bent in the tree incident causing the pull.

Anyone have any thoughts on what might be causing the pull?

·
Registered
2,231 Posts
It could just be a result of the way that you have the engine supported. Are you supporting from above or below? Near the center of gravity of the engine/transmission or near and end?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
We are using a engine hoist and supporting from above. We are chained up to the right side (drivers) only. Last weekend we tried underneath with the jack but had the same result. I shouldn't have to loosen the other mounts, correct?

Another thought I had was to pull/replace the dog bone mount as maybe that's bent/broken causing the engine to be in this position.

·
Registered
2,231 Posts
Supporting from above should be best. The dogbone won't affect lateral positioning but loosening the pivot bolt couldn't hurt. Maybe the whole car is a little narrower now due to the tree incident.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the feedback so far.

That's what worries me is if she bent the frame in her little incident. The other thing that scares me is the mount was broken into 4 pieces. If I somehow get the new mount installed would the continuous pressure that seems to be there bust the new one also.

Would you agree that the CV axle replacement probably won't help much? We did get the car aligned after the incident so I would have thought they would have noticed a axle issue.

·
Registered
2,231 Posts
You should replace the halfshafts if they are bent. Look for wobbling in the middle as the wheels are turned. I'd leave them in place until the engine mounts are reattached, though.

You may need to move the engine on the right side mount a little to get the holes to line up on the left side. There is a little side-to-side positioning slop built into the center CV joints. I'll post the engine mount adjustments, but you may need to shift the engine/transmission toward the right a little to compensate for the narrower frame.

·
Registered
2,231 Posts
Engine mount adjustment

For the right side mount, dimension a should be 14 mm, adjust mount so dimension b is 10 mm. Bolt head edges should be flush at c.

engine mount-right.png

For the left side mount, a and b should be parallel and dimension c should be 18-20 mm.

engine mount-left.png

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks Red for all your feedback.

Yesterday afternoon I was able to get it lined up and bolted down and declare victory. In fact we did the dog bone and right side afterwards to complete all the mounts.

For anyone interested, I loosed up the right side mount that was bolted to the frame and then lengthened the chain and repositioned the hoist to be further in-front of the car instead of right over the engine. Instead of pulling the engine up, it pulled it up and forward.

I do think that I couldn't have done it without the hoist.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts