NewBeetle.org Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Aloha,
I am hoping that someone can point me in the right direction.
I was driving on a street that has an incline of approximately 20 to 30 degrees and traveling about 25 to 30 MPH. I was approaching a bus stop area on my right when I felt a catastrophic impact which appeared to stop my car for an instant. Immediately I decelerated and applied brakes. At first I imagined that I hit a concrete barrier but saw nothing in my rearview mirror. One second farther on my right off the road and beyond the curb in clear view was an orange triangle sign, about 1 meter square with the word “BUMP”. After reaching my destination 3 minutes later I parked, turned off my car engine and entered a building for a meeting. Approximately 3 .75 hours later I returned to my car and started the engine and drove approximately 8.75 miles to my home. As I was nearing my parking space I heard an extreme clatter similar to a large diesel engine. (My 1999 New Beetle engine is gasoline) Half way into the parking space my engine stalled. I started the engine again and it sounded as though there was no compression in the engine and all valves were without lubricant. Slowly I moved the car approximately 1 meter into its space and immediately turned off the engine. There were NO LIGHTS on the panel lighted except a fuel light which is on and just below ¼ tank. . There is no oil spots on the ground. Where do I start to discover the actual problem? Aloha

·
5/23/10 <3
10,975 Posts
Did you actually check your oil level?

·
I love my VW!
63 Posts
I agree with smiley, It might be out of oil.

My 2.0 beetle is using a little oil too.
I have to put in about 1 qt. every 1.5-2 months.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Oil

Aloha and Mahalo for your reply.

Actually I did check for oil level. It seems to be ok. I will add 1 quart and see if that makes a difference. I have had to add oil ever few months but that is not a good point of reference. I drive only a few miles each month. I mostly walk or use my bicycle.

Even when the oil low was on it never seem to sound like this. Its REALLY loud.

Aloha

·
5/23/10 <3
10,975 Posts
Don't just add some because. If the level is correct, then you're fine as far as that goes. Overfilling isn't good either.

·
Premium Member
1,086 Posts
Better check the oil pan. I suspect it is bent in and has bent the oil pickup so the oil is not circulating in the engine. I think you have trashed the motor since it quit running.:(

·
No NB Yellow Trifecta :(
5,634 Posts
It is possible that you bent the oil pan and it is also possible that you bent the pan where the oil pick up tube is; if you did then the oil pick up tube is bent upward out of the oil.

Also it is a little premature to say the motor is trashed, unless you drop the oil pan for an inspection.

·
Premium Member
1,086 Posts
Frank you may be correct but the op says it stalled out when pulling into the parking space.

All in all its going to need the pan dropped to look for damage.

·
Registered
153 Posts
Here's my 2 cents for what it's worth :)

Speed bumps normally go from curb to curb so both wheels mount at the same time, therefore it would not be the sump. If the bump is too tall and too narrow it may catch the exhaust as the front wheels come off the bump.

Sounds like a D9 Dozer ? Check the exhaust :)

A question for the other guys: If the pickup was bent (surely the sump/oil pan would have cracked first) would the oil pressure warning have lit up ?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Speed bump

Aloha,

I am sorry that I was not clear. The area that I hit was an elevated bus pad that had some asphalt to adjust the height. It was more than likely low bidder and the bus hits the asphalt all day. Most was gone. The pad was elevated about three inches. My clearance is about 6 1/2 inches on the frame of the car. The angle of the hill was 20 t 25 degrees. :-( to much math I should have listened in physics class. Something dragged and bumps would have elevated... right?

As far as the exhaust it is not like a rice rocket. The clacking was absolutely the engine and the impression of NO pressure inside the engine. That's as good as I can describe. Sorry.

Aloha

·
Registered
158 Posts
If you bottomed out and crushed a portion of the exhaust, you'll have back-pressure issues. So I guess the first thing to do is just look under the car and see what hit? Should be pretty noticeable

1 - 13 of 13 Posts