NewBeetle.org Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I bought a new center "splash gaurd" last week on Ebay for $25.00 plus shipping for a total of $34.00. The guys has more of them posted.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/VW-BEETLE-GOLF-JETTA-NEW-SPLASH-GUARD-AND-HARDWARE_W0QQitemZ8021091524QQcategoryZ50455QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

I have been without for quite some time and know that other are the same way. I thought this was pretty reasonable and would share it. It does say China on it but it just a piece of plastic and looks to be exactly the same. I will attempt to put it on tomorrow if it is above 5 degrees out and will post fitment.

·
Premium Member
114 Posts
I just bought the same piece you did on ebay, the install was flawless...althought I would like to point out that instead of using the clips that come with it, that you try to use the exsisting clips on the car...(if you have them.) Had mine installed in 5 minutes....

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Mine went on easily too with the four original torx screws that were included with it. I sure thought that the original one extended back further underneath the engine though. It has been so long since I had it on there I am not sure. This one extends back to just over the front edge of the oilpan. I thought the old one went back past the drain plug.

How about yours bananarama?

·
Premium Member
114 Posts
Cant remember....:D Mine was so busted up from the wife running over then backing out over the curb she hit....Tore it to hell...

I know one thing tho...the original one seemed like a better plastic...thicker that is... If this one breaks, it'll be time to save up for the aluminum one from dieselgeek...:rolleyes:

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I would like the aluminum one too. I have been avoiding large ice chunks that have fallen off of cars already this year. I am afraid of what one of those would do to my oilpan, especially when it is -10 degrees in the morning and they are hard as rocks. I am pretty sure that's what ripped my last splash shield off.

I don't think this plastic seems as flexible, which may cause it to crack when it's this cold. We'll see, it was worth trying for $25 bucks.

·
Premium Member
5,028 Posts
I'm going to buy the Dieselgeek aluminum one in the fall after I drop the car 1.5" :D

Notice how this is called a "splash guard" and doesn't say anything about actually being effective against anything except splashes ;)

·
180 Degrees out of faze
841 Posts
Get the metel skid plate, and you will not regret it. It will pay for itself everytime your oil pan is kept safe from road kill.

·
Premium Member
114 Posts
jbehm said:
I would like the aluminum one too. I have been avoiding large ice chunks that have fallen off of cars already this year. I am afraid of what one of those would do to my oilpan, especially when it is -10 degrees in the morning and they are hard as rocks. I am pretty sure that's what ripped my last splash shield off.

I don't think this plastic seems as flexible, which may cause it to crack when it's this cold. We'll see, it was worth trying for $25 bucks.
That's how mine originally got cracked 2 years ago....I hit a small boulder size piece of snow ice at 45mph.....also put a nice crease in my oil pan...no leaks thank god...

·
Registered
1 Posts
Skid Plate - not same size

I am curious....The skid plate on my TDI is larger than the one i see from the seller on ebay. It also has side skirts to connect to the frame. Are there different sized skid plates for the TDI than the other beetles?

·
180 Degrees out of faze
841 Posts
JoeIndy said:
I am curious....The skid plate on my TDI is larger than the one i see from the seller on ebay. It also has side skirts to connect to the frame. Are there different sized skid plates for the TDI than the other beetles?
Yes, the TDI has a different setup. The TDI needs the enclosed bottom end to deaden the sound, and keep what little heat is generated inside the motor.
Get the Dieselgeek metal skidpan. It will save your motor.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts