NewBeetle.org Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
recently joined the family with purchase of 1999 NB 1.8t,the engine splash guards are a mess and I would like to replace.I have located center piece but need sides as well.any info as to who might have these would be appreciated.what would be a fair price to have timing belt and water pump installed.Thanks again.

·
Registered
97 Posts
that is a great place for Diagrams as I need the little side guards but where do I buy them

Sorry for the high-jack..

·
Registered
11,582 Posts

·
Worry less, drive more
4,270 Posts
The plastic pieces that cover the oil pan really do nothing to protect it. The pieces on my car have been ripped off twice and I didn't run over anything bigger than a squirrel. :rolleyes: Check out VW skid plates, TDI timing belt kits, short shift kits for a real skidplate to protect the oil pan. They also have the side panels but I still have the stock plastic ones so I can't speak for those.

·
Registered
4,271 Posts
recently joined the family with purchase of 1999 NB 1.8t,the engine splash guards are a mess and I would like to replace.I have located center piece but need sides as well.any info as to who might have these would be appreciated.what would be a fair price to have timing belt and water pump installed.Thanks again.
Here is the side cover for the transmission (drivers side)
Volkswagen New Beetle 1.8T > Search > Transmission Cover > ES#6192 Transmission Cover Plate - 1C0825245E

Here is the engine side cover:
Volkswagen New Beetle 1.8T > Search > Engine Cover > ES#298188 Engine Side Cover Plate - 1C0825250

PS: A GREAT place to buy OEM parts at Wholesale prices is WWW.VWOEMPARTSONLINE.COM If you have the part number you can plug it in and see what the discount is.
VW Outlet store had a sale in October for a OEM Stainless Steel Cat Back exhaust system. MSRP $799.00 VW Outlet sold it for $149.00 in October and VWOEMPARTSONLINE sold it to me
for $103.70 plus shipping. An Amazing DEAL!

·
Registered
4,271 Posts
The plastic pieces that cover the oil pan really do nothing to protect it. The pieces on my car have been ripped off twice and I didn't run over anything bigger than a squirrel. :rolleyes: Check out VW skid plates, TDI timing belt kits, short shift kits for a real skidplate to protect the oil pan. They also have the side panels but I still have the stock plastic ones so I can't speak for those.
I beg to differ. I know that small plastic center piece doesn't offer a lot of protection but it does help with aerodynamics and it does help to reduce the amount of water and road dirt being thrown underneath the car which is important especially in places like here that use a trillion pounds of road salt in the winter time. Sure a 42 design Panzer plate would be great but it is way to pricey for what it is in my opinion. My recommendation is don't run over any squirles and you will be fine. ;)

·
Registered
100 Posts
I'm a huge fan of the all-aluminum DieselGeek PanzerPlate approach to protecting the low-hanging, vulnerable New Beetle drive-train components. Their "Full Metal Jacket" side-skirt kit (MK4 Full Metal Jacket aluminum side skirts) is only $20 more than the OEM plastic parts and the full-up all-aluminum PanzerPlate is available as a complete kit with the Full Metal Jacket side-skirts for about $355 (MK4 Panzer Skid Plate with Full Metal Jacket). The DieselGeek PanzerPlate system not only provides resilient protection from road-debris/ice-chunks, but it maintains the engine-compartment air-flow of the OEM plastic pieces. :D

So, you can replace the belly-pan and side-skirts multiple times over the life of the New Beetle, or replace them once and forget about them for the life of the car. I've gone with the DieselGeek solution. Bring on the army of undead squirrels; Klaus is ready. :cool:

·
Registered
2,451 Posts
splash covers

You can also just buy a small can of fiber glass bondo at walmart and fix the cracked/broken one you have now. Cheaper.
besides that part is under the car, nobody see's that part except the squirrels..LOL

·
Registered
4,271 Posts
You can also just buy a small can of fiber glass bondo at walmart and fix the cracked/broken one you have now. Cheaper.
besides that part is under the car, nobody see's that part except the squirrels..LOL
I still have my original covers and they still look fine. I guess we don't have Suicide Squirrels in our neighborhood :D

·
Registered
2,451 Posts
splash gaurd

I still have my original covers and they still look fine. I guess we don't have Suicide Squirrels in our neighborhood :D
Correct I too have my original under plastic covers and still just keep patching & fixin' everytime I hit a small Rodent. I don't do much off-roading with my beetle to justify an aluminum skid plate though...LOL.....jj guys.

btw great looking yellow Beetle Indytom, my future next add on to the family beetle will be Yellow. I will still keep Babyblue running till the wheels fall of or I die, which ever comes first...LOL:D

·
Registered
4,271 Posts
Correct I too have my original under plastic covers and still just keep patching & fixin' everytime I hit a small Rodent. I don't do much off-roading with my beetle to justify an aluminum skid plate though...LOL.....jj guys.

btw great looking yellow Beetle Indytom, my future next add on to the family beetle will be Yellow. I will still keep Babyblue running till the wheels fall of or I die, which ever comes first...LOL:D
Thanks for the compliment. I hope for the wheels to fall off on your beetle prior to that "Die" thing to happen ;)

I am hanging on to "Brunhilda" for a while longer. Hopefully the wheels will stay on and my ticker will keep on ticking until I can afford a New, New Beetle a couple of years down the road. :D

·
Worry less, drive more
4,270 Posts
I beg to differ. I know that small plastic center piece doesn't offer a lot of protection but it does help with aerodynamics and it does help to reduce the amount of water and road dirt being thrown underneath the car which is important especially in places like here that use a trillion pounds of road salt in the winter time. Sure a 42 design Panzer plate would be great but it is way to pricey for what it is in my opinion. My recommendation is don't run over any squirles and you will be fine. ;)
Aerodynamics?! :p That's a good one. A plastic piece of crap vs. an aluminum sheet of metal - hmm, which one should I bet my oil pan (and my engine)on? You've proved my point by saying not to run over any squirrels - if the plastic piece can't handle a skinny little rodent then it can't protect your oil pan from rocks, ice, and other road hazards. My skidplate cost $325 installed. The 2nd plastic piece cost me $200 installed. If my oil pan is ruined, then I've gotta call a tow, plus the cost of the oil pan and possibly an engine. As mullardel34 said, you buy the skidplate once but you could be buying multiple plastic pieces over the life of the car.

·
Registered
4,271 Posts
Aerodynamics?! :p That's a good one. A plastic piece of crap vs. an aluminum sheet of metal - hmm, which one should I bet my oil pan (and my engine)on? You've proved my point by saying not to run over any squirrels - if the plastic piece can't handle a skinny little rodent then it can't protect your oil pan from rocks, ice, and other road hazards. My skidplate cost $325 installed. The 2nd plastic piece cost me $200 installed. If my oil pan is ruined, then I've gotta call a tow, plus the cost of the oil pan and possibly an engine. As mullardel34 said, you buy the skidplate once but you could be buying multiple plastic pieces over the life of the car.
YES, Aerodynamics! Regardless what you think of this little piece of "Crap" plastic it still minimizes turbulence from the air entering underneath. I am not saying it is better or worse in doing so over your Mighty Panzer Plate. I am just saying that it does serve a purpose. And I am not sure where you are buying your plastic pieces but if you ever paid $200 installed for one than you aren't very bright. ECS tuning sells it for $33.00 bucks and installation takes about 2 minutes. Some of us just can't afford to send $325+ dollars on something that may or may not save my oil pan from a dent. Heck, I could buy 4 aftermarket oil pans for the price of one of those aluminum skid plates. But so far in almost 12 years my beetle has survived Indiana winters and potholes without any scratch on the oil pan and the original "Piece of crap" plastic covers are all still in one piece. ;)

1 - 15 of 15 Posts