VW Beetle Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
how important is it? none of my other vehicles have this...

i hit a coyote the other night, it didn't hurt the body, but got under the car and tore he** out of the splash shield. i have it rigged with xtra screws and zip ties. i found one on-line to buy, but i haven't pulled the trigger yet.

is it really necessary? they're only $30 so it's not a problem to buy... i always hated the thing when changing oil. i'd be glad to be rid of it.

·
Registered
15,841 Posts
I would say; that most New Beetles on the road today, have theirs torn off! It doesn't take much to destroy them; just some debris in the road and "bam" they are toast. I haven't had mine on for years and things are ok. Some say; that it guides the cooling air in relation to the engine, I live in New Mexico which goes over 100 F during the summer and I have been fine. You can replace it but assume, it will get damaged again, at some pont. Every time I have replaced mine; it would get destroyed, not too long afterwards; I finally gave up and left it off.

If you want something that will last and protect the oil pan; check your the Panzer Plate from DieselGeek.

1998-2010 New Beetle Skid Plate | Aluminum Panzer Plate

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
thanks... it is solid right now... extra long zip ties do wonders. the only problem i foresee is changing oil. i'll have to let one side down a little to get to the oil filter.

this is a 2002 model turbo s and we've protected it like a baby. recently though, it seems luck is against us. my wife drug the front end across a patch of rough asphalt and messed up one side of the shield, i patched it together, and a few months later hit the coyote.

the grill is messed up a little bit. it has been dislodged from the tabs and looks a little cockeyed, but i can live with that.

·
Registered
74 Posts
It's definitely necessary to make the car 100% efficient (directing air to radiator/intercooler and underbody aerodynamics), but not necessary for normal use. Having it out definitely helps with lowering engine bay temps.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts