NewBeetle.org Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
512 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My '99 2.0 is missing the engine splash shield, together with the 2 so-called side covers. Since they are only 3 plastic boards not affecting engine operation I'd get them as cheap as possible. The center board I can buy from Norman that only cost less than 30 dollars. However I can't find any other sources to get the 2 side covers other than dealer or Volkswagen OEM Parts Accessories | Buy Genuine VW Parts Wholesale. The website charges around $80 for the 2 plastic boards....I'm just wondering if there is any other ways to get these plastic boards cheaper? I'm just thinking that spending more than 100 dollars on the splash shield is like a joke.....

·
Registered
512 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Here's some information about the 2 parts:
Left side cover: part #1C0825245E, MSRP$68.50, VWpartsamerica sells for $51.79 and ECStuning sells for $66.09;
Right side cover: part #1C0825250C, MSRP$42.00, VWpartsamerica sells for $26.46 and ECStuning sells for $39.10.

·
μολὼν λαβ
212 Posts
I looked around a bit, but had no luck on the side shields, either. Rockauto.com sells the center shield, made by Dorman, for $18.86, but a check of the Dorman website shows that they don't make the side shields, only the center. You might try a junkyard. The Golf and Jetta of the late 90s and early 2000s share the same three shields, so that might help you obtain the parts from a junkyard.

·
Premium Member
4,753 Posts
I looked around a bit, but had no luck on the side shields, either. Rockauto.com sells the center shield, made by Dorman, for $18.86, but a check of the Dorman website shows that they don't make the side shields, only the center. You might try a junkyard. The Golf and Jetta of the late 90s and early 2000s share the same three shields, so that might help you obtain the parts from a junkyard.
Call me stupid! Are these the pieces everyone talks about replacing with the aluminum "skid plate"?

·
μολὼν λαβ
212 Posts
Call me stupid! Are these the pieces everyone talks about replacing with the aluminum "skid plate"?
Beats me! When I bought my used '02 for my wife, the shields were already gone. Replacing them was never a priority for me. Still don't have them 100K miles later.

·
Registered
11,583 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,753 Posts
These get trashed on all the mark iv vw's; I guess you can just keep replacing them forever... the aluminum skid plates are the only long lasting option that I know of.

Here is some info about the aftermarket options:
http://newbeetle.org/forums/questions-issues-concerns-problems-new-beetle/52020-concern-underneath-front-car.html
So the aluminum skid plate I read about around the Org is the replacement for these, I guess ABS, plastic pieces? Not a problem here, as the two who drive this Bug, drive a Vette also. The NBs and NBCs ride high in comparison. One $2000 trip over a parking stop, pegged down with a piece of re-bar sticking out the top slightly, took care of that EVER happening again, in any vehicle. And MyOtherRidesASuburban, 3/4 Ton, that goes through and over anything (lol).

Just trying to learn.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts