VW Beetle Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, I have a 2000 beetle, 2.0L, manual. The radiator fans were seized so i went to the junkyard and found one with the same connectors (but from a 2002 I think). When I installed the fans and connected, the check engine light came on. It starts fine, but driving for 5 minutes or so and the engines stalls. I can restart and get it back to the house (but stalls once or twice on the way). Runs rough when restarting.
I replaced the temp sensor, but that had no effect. I dont have the tool to check codes from check engine light.
I unplugged fans and had the same problem.
Any suggestions? I assume it has something to do with the fans. I called the local VW parts dept and asked if there are fans that might draw more power than what I had in there, but they didnt think so.
My beetle has about 200k miles on it. It has been remarkably robust and I would like to keep it running.
Thanks

·
Registered
2,545 Posts
lucky

You lucky you didn't burn up the engine or maybe it's a done turkey already..LOL: :D You really need to know what temperature the engine is running. Some folks, me included have used a cell phone to monitor the coolant temperature for troubleshooting. A common problem is the green fuses on top of the battery that supply power to the fan control module and the actual fans themselves melt and loose connection, start there. I use the ELM32 BD2 adaptor(off ebay) with the iphone4 application Dashcommand to monitor my coolant temperature sometimes.

·
Registered
15,839 Posts
It could be a number of issues: dirty throttle body, tb need aligned, speed/crank sensor, fuel pump failing, etc.etc. etc. A vw compatible scanner would be helpful;post any trouble codes, you may find, check out this cheap vw scanner.... the Vgate vs450 on amazon.com for $50.

Here is a good thread about troubleshooting and checking the fans:

http://newbeetle.org/forums/questio...3260-summers-coming-here-check-your-fans.html

1 - 4 of 4 Posts