NewBeetle.org Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My Beetle has taken on the annoying habit of idling up when at rest. It's not a consistent thing and even when it idles up the RPM's don't stay constant at all. The engine seems to accelerate and decelerate all by itself.

You guys did such a good job with my engine shroud question, I thought I'd ask this one too!

Thanks

·
180 Degrees out of faze
841 Posts
Just have to ask. Which motor? Slightly different answers depending on what you have. In general look for a bad vacuum hose. They can develop pinhole leaks, and cause havoc with the motor at idle. Next look at the fuel pressure regulator. With the motor running, pull the vacuum hose that goes to it. Did the idle change? If yes, most likely it is good. No, might be the hose, might be the fuel pressure regulator. Next would be the throttle body. When was it last cleaned? A good cleaning will do wonders for engine response. Do not use a harsh solvent that will attack the Teflon coatings or the grease lube.

·
Premium Member
98 Posts
It would help if you would provide your engine type along with your problem. More than likely it is a throttle body fault or any number of input sensors, MAF, ect. that is sending erratic data to the engine control computer and allows the throttle valve control motor or thottle valve position sensor to miss-read the RPM or have the ability to control the RPM. It should be rock steady at idle. I suggest a VW VAG-COM scan so that all the related systems and sensors, and actuators can be scanned and the faulty component found and replaced. JK

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Sorry guys, it's the 1.8 turbo, Standard transmission.

It looks to me like it means a trip to the dealership 50 miles from here. That's no fun at all.

·
180 Degrees out of faze
841 Posts
OK, now we know a little bit more.
Before you go to the dealer, just try cleaning the throttle body. They tend to get all gunked up. A good cleaning can cure a lot of problems.

·
Twizzler
447 Posts
How do you do it, where is it located and don't you need to do a throttle body realignmemnt with the vagcom afterwards, or is there a way to clean it without doing the reset??

1 - 7 of 7 Posts