VW Beetle Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
It's been a good while since I have posted with school and life just in the way.
So my 2000 GLS 5 speed is having an issue. When I'm driving (mostly seems in town stop and go traffic) it makes that ear piercing beep and the temp light comes on red and flashes. If I stop and top off the coolant it goes off if I get on the high way and cruise for a bit it goes off.
I have checked everything and it doesn't seem to be losing coolant even when I stop to top it off when the light comes on. All of the fuses look fine. When I stop with the light on the fans are not on though.
So please some opinions on this I am kind of stumped
Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
15,839 Posts
Here are the coolant light modes:

Blue coolant light = engine cold
Flashing blue coolant light = fault in the coolant monitoring system
Flashing red coolant light = low on coolant
Steady red coolant light = engine overheating, pull over and stop engine IMMEDIATELY and do not run until the problem has been identified.

I would scan the car for trouble codes and you might check and see if the water pump is working ok. Check out this video; for checking the return line for flow.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ln4grYe3WnE

If you have to keep topping off the coolant; you have a leak, you need to find where it is leaking from. How many miles on the car and when, was the last time the timing belt and waterpump were changed?

If you need a waterpump and timing belt; these guys have a 15% off sale until monday night 5/16 @ midnight. www.blauparts.com

·
Registered
2,299 Posts
When you say you "top off the coolant" hopefully you mean you bring it up to the full line which is near the center of the bottle. When full, there should be about half coolant and half air in the bottle. The "low" indicator should come on when the bottle is nearly empty. Was the bottle nearly empty when you added coolant?

1 - 3 of 3 Posts