NewBeetle.org Forums banner

1 - 20 of 49 Posts

·
Good-bye Curby...
8,727 Posts
SMG said:
Hey guys,

I find when I'm stopped at a light, or after I've pulled into my parking spot, I hear a ticking noise.

Not like a clock, but much louder.

Is this normal?

Thanks!

SMG
looks like you and i are in the same boat. i also have this noise. i think THIS noise is normal. it's a constant tick, right? no idea what it is, but i've been told it's nothing out of the ordinary.

how many miles on your NB?

·
Premium Member
756 Posts
I hear a clicking noise sometimes. I think it's either something in the electronics (thermostat?) or just the head contracting as it cools. I, too, don't think it's anything to worry about... but would be very interested to hear what you might find out.

·
a.k.a. porkchopzz4
890 Posts
You could hear a clicking from the a/c compressor engaging/disengaging... but it shouldn't be doing it constantly unless its messed up.

·
Older but not Wiser
1,015 Posts
the engine is cooling down and the metal is contracting.

jd

·
a.k.a. porkchopzz4
890 Posts
007 said:
the engine is cooling down and the metal is contracting.

jd
But what's weird he is saying its doing it while idling at a light... I've never noticed a car do this while it is still running....

·
Premium Member
756 Posts
Porkchop said:
But what's weird he is saying its doing it while idling at a light... I've never noticed a car do this while it is still running....
You're absolutely right. I missed the "stopped at light" part, and just assumed he meant when he shut down.

Yeah... it's doubtful that the engine would be cooling down if it's still running.

I know my radiator fan switches on and off pretty regularly... and there seems to be a decent "click" when it does so (like I said... I think it's the thermostat). Could that be the sound you're hearing, SMG?

·
Premium Member
769 Posts
My car has been doing the same thing lately as well...I asked my dad and he thought maybe because the oil was too low or something, but I checked and it was fine...so I really don't know whats wrong. The new brakes that we just put on also squeak and sound like an old man's knees bending!!! It's really annoying!

:)

·
Older but not Wiser
1,015 Posts
Porkchop said:
But what's weird he is saying its doing it while idling at a light.
didn't catch that. so is it while it's on, or after? secondary air pumps click sometimes, as well as the a/c.

jd

·
180 Degrees out of faze
841 Posts
Will the clicking change in speed as the speed of the motor changes? Does this happen mostly when the motor is warm?
If you open the hood, and listen, where is the clicking coming from?

·
It's a shot glass!
1,530 Posts
My 98 started doing this not too long ago, I thought it was low on oil so I checked but it was fine. The noise comes and goes, some days it'll tick and some days it wont. Sounds like it could be a valve or the valves because when it's ticking and I give it a little gas it ticks faster.

·
180 Degrees out of faze
841 Posts
OK, just for grins and giggels. With the motor warmed up and running, open the hood. Listen near the bottom of the windshield. Look for something with a vaccuem hose, and listen for the tick - tick - tick. See if you can find the source.

·
Registered
98 Posts
i have a 98 beetle and it ticks too. the way you described it is exactly what it sounds like. my brakes squeak too. it's the most annoying thing in the world:mad:

·
Good-bye Curby...
8,727 Posts
mine has been making all kinds of ticking clattering lately. i think the noises have even changed since the weather has gotten colder. my engine noises seem louder now.

·
180 Degrees out of faze
841 Posts
slugbug123 said:
i have a 98 beetle . . . my brakes squeak too. it's the most annoying thing in the world:mad:
Are these the original brake pads?
If you had the pads changed, were they the OEM replacement pads?
A common reason for the squeak is using other than the OEM replacement pads. They tend to be too hard, and squeak. VW sells a kit that has the pads, new guide pins, and pad backing.

·
Registered
98 Posts
i bought it with about 60000 miles on it so i dont know if they are factory but i doubt it because i checked them when i had the tire off and they are still good. and it's not just a sound when i hit the brakes; they squeak while i'm moving. i dont know if that's the brakes for certain though but i'd probably just change them all if i knew it was

·
Banned
1,258 Posts
SMG said:
Hey guys,

I find when I'm stopped at a light, or after I've pulled into my parking spot, I hear a ticking noise.

Not like a clock, but much louder.

Is this normal?

Thanks!

SMG
I know that my '99 does it when it needs an oil change, our old '99 did the same thing as well.

1 - 20 of 49 Posts