NewBeetle.org Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am trying to help my gf with her 98 beetle with about 160k miles.

So we went to start the car and the engine did not turn at all, it just clicked. I thought that maybe a light was left on overnight so I took out the battery and took it to auto zone to get it charged.

When I connected the battery back in both fans turned on automatically without the keys even in the ignition. I figured the fans stayed on all night and that is what drained the battery. So after connecting the battery I tried to start the car.

The engine turned over but will only stay on for a second then dies. I unplugged the fans and tried to start the car again but no luck.

I'm kind of stuck on to what I should try next from here. NOT very experienced with diagnosing, any help would be appreciated.

Thanks!

·
Registered
2,231 Posts
The '98 doesn't have an immobilizer, so that isn't the problem. When my battery ran down one time I found that the idle speed controller had to relearn its settings before it would automatically adjust the idle again. The procedure to teach it is to turn the ignition to "run" without starting the engine. Leave it there for 30 seconds and then switch off. Then restart the engine.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the replies. I tried leaving the 30 key on the on position for 30 seconds then turning it off with no luck... I'm going to take the alternator out and get it tested and see if that fixes it.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts