NewBeetle.org Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've got a 2001 TDI. It's happened twice now, but I got in the NB and turned the key in the ignition and nothing happened. The dashboard lit up and all the idiot lights came on as usual. But the engine wouldn't turn over.

This is my first diesel, but in my gasoline cars this was usually an indication the solenoid was bad...but there is always the accompanying whirring noise of the starter turning, but not engaging. No sound at all in this case. Complete silence.

After a few more tries the motor sprung to life. The motor turned over and instantly, fired up.

Both times it was after driving for about 10minutes to run to the grocery store or coffeee shop.

It may be coincidence but, the last time I turned the ignition and left it twisted, after two seconds the engine cranked up.

I appreciate your help here!!

jg

·
Super Moderator
Cup- 2k New Beetle GLS/ 'Chino- 13 Beetle 2.5
20,854 Posts
usually with an ignition switch, your car will still start, but you usually lose other functions such as environmental controls, brake lights, and headlights.

to me, it's sounding more like your starter is going out. I've experienced that same situation, albiet I have a gasser vs your TDI. it's almost a starting Russian roulette. Sometimes it will start.. other times, mostly other times, it won't start as it gets progressively worse.
All the best to you. Keep us posted on the prognosis.

Sent from my SGH-T679 using AutoGuide App

·
5/23/10 <3
11,172 Posts
I'd take the car to Autozone, etc. and get your battery and starter checked. They should do that for free. Batteries must be in top shape for a TDI as they take a lot of juice to get going. You may have enough power to turn on lights and things but not enough to start the car. But also sounds like it could be the starter.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The battery is almost brand new. I do know the starter is used. It did it to me again the other day. I "leaned" on the ignition and it started up.

Unfortunately, I also need a new/rebuilt injection fuel pump. I'll have it all taken care of at the same time.

Thanks for the help.

·
5/23/10 <3
11,172 Posts
A battery can be new but still be bad. And make sure its the right size too.

But definitely get the starter tested.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts