NewBeetle.org Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys,
I think I need to get a new engine for my bug.
I am pretty noob regarding different engines that would fit.
I know theoretically could be any engine, but is this a easy thing to do? Can I find mechanics willing to swap that much or should I stick with VW engines? Basically any engine from MK7 GTI will fit, right?

·
Registered
11,399 Posts
First, I would figure out; what is wrong with the engine and confirm what problem(s) it has. There is a ongoing class action lawsuit against VW right now and a engine failure; related to the timing chains, might be covered under this action.

https://www.google.com/search?q=volkswagen+2.0T+timing+chain+class+action+lawsuit+october+2018&oq=volkswagen+2.0T+timing+chain+class+action+lawsuit+october+2018&aqs=chrome..69i57.25910j0j7&sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8

So, take things step by step and take a logical path, to figure out what is going on. It maybe possible, your engine could be replaced for free by VW; if it is covered, in the class action and matches the VIN numbers covered.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Well, lets go.

I bought this car 50 or 60 days ago. 2012 Turbo, 36K miles, nice condition etc.
Since was from a private seller, I took the car to a shop to check before I close the deal.
Nothing wrong besides what was stated by the seller (brakes and tires). He did mentioned about a oil change coming soon. I asked about the tag on the windshield and he said to follow the warning on the dashboard.
Two weeks ago I got a misfire code for #1, since was close to the weekend I decide to check Saturday or Sunday. And since **** happens, I could not. Following Monday I felt the idling was very rough and the starting was taking a little bit too long to happen.
Then Wednesday the misfired was very bad to the point of shake the whole car. So I decided to stop and hear the engine. I heard the ticking noise of low oil very very low. When I check the dip stick was completely dry. So I ran to get a quarter of oil to fill until I drive to a oil change place.
On the way to the oil change place the service engine was flashing. I managed to drive to the place and after they've flushed and refilled the oil I could not start my car anymore. It crank but would not start. So they pushed the car out the oil changing bay to the parking lot. After trying a few times the car finally started. But dies after seconds.
when I checked the spark plugs I found one with oil on it.
I recorded the sound of my engine and the mechanics that work with me they said could be, dead cylinder, valvetrain, etc.
The final codes were related with camshaft, misfired, bank 1 etc (I don't remember all names). I was able to screenshot a few of the codes: P0300 P0304 P0302 P0016 P0341 P0011.
This car did get the ignition coil module replaced with 26k miles.

So, basically, I ran out of oil. But I never got any warning on the dashboard or that familiar ticking noise. The place that I took to inspect never told me about the oil level (my fault I also never checked) and just to be the cherry on the top of the cake, that shop is closed.

·
Registered
11,399 Posts
P0300 P0304 P0302 P0016 P0341 P0011.

16395/P0011/000017 - Ross-Tech Wiki

16725/P0341/000833 - Ross-Tech Wiki

16400/P0016/000022 - Ross-Tech Wiki

The above codes, makes me wonder; of the timing chain/guides, have failed (which is the reason for the class action lawsuit; check your vin # and see if you quality).

So, where is the car now? Is a shop, doing a evaluation of the engine? A compression and oil pressure check; would be the next logical step and I would do a visual inspection of the timing chain/adjusters for damage. If you have low oil pressure, then, I would pull the oil pan and valve cover, to check for valve train and bottom end bearing wear. It kinda sounds like, you may not "know the whole story"; as it were and we maybe missing something. @ 36k; it seems odd, that you would be so low on oil. I've seen cars that didn't register on the oil dipstick; that ended up being ok and then, if damage has occurred, obviously, no matter how much you "add", it cannot fix, damaged that has already happened.

Until, you get the engine fully evaluated and ascertain; the damage, the has occurred, it is hard to know, for sure until it is tested/inspected correctly. We have had quite a few 1.8T's lately; that ended up needing a rebuild but for the 2.0T, the first, I have hard of.

As for repairs, a used or rebuilt long block; maybe, the quickest route but you might weigh, the cost, reliablity and included warranty, if you decide, to keep the car long term.

I'm sorry to hear, you have run into problems; hopefully, you can get it fixed soon and get it back on the road! :)

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The car still on the parking lot of the oil change place.
I was trying to gather more info here at my work (Roush) before pay to tow the car to a shop then pay for inspection.
The low level doesn't make sense. Isn't the interval of 10k recommend by VW? Did the previous owner replaced the oil with 20k-ish but not with 30k-ish?

Is there a website to check by my VIN? I could not find on the one you linked before.

Thanks very much for your time and knowledge!

·
Registered
11,399 Posts
The circumstances, oil level and other issues; do not seem to make sense. Until the car is fully inspected and tested/evaluated; we are all just speculating, at this point.

For the VIN number check; go to this website: https://timingchainlitigation.com/

Hope this helps; be sure, to let us know, what you find out next. Thanks.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
MATCH FOUND

This Vehicle Identification Number (VIN) has been matched with an eligible Settlement Class Vehicle.

If you have questions about this VIN Lookup tool, please contact the Claim Administrator at:

Volkswagen Timing Chain Settlement

Not sure if the low level would deny my claim...

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I just got a call from the dealer.

They have to replace the engine and the turbo. He said I still have to pay 30% of the job. Approximately $3000.

·
Premium Member
573 Posts
weird.

Uncanny, how THIS whole scenario sounds soooo much like my dilemma on my 2013 a year or so ago.
I also had 35,000 miles on it, when it went POP.

New engine/turbo as well.

Good luck with your new setup. I know I"ve been moddin', and beatin' the bejeebus out of mine, with nary a problem.

·
Registered
11,399 Posts
Well, are you going to fix it? $3k is allot cheaper; than, the whole bill, I am sure. I'm sorry this happened but at least, VW is paying for most of the repairs? Did they give you a reason; for why, they are not covering the whole thing? Was the turbocharger; not covered and thus the $3k? :confused: Regardless, I hope you get the car; back on the road soon! With a new engine and turbo; you will have, a almost like new car! :)

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Did they give you a reason; for why, they are not covering the whole thing? Was the turbocharger; not covered and thus the $3k? :confused:

They said based on year (2012) and mileage (37k miles) VW only covers a portion of the repair.

Not sure about the turbocharger...

I'll stop by tomorrow to talk with the dealership.

Should I question something else of getting a new engine/turbo for 3K is already good enough?

·
Registered
11,399 Posts
That is really up to you; you might look over the lawsuit page and talk to vw customer relations, for them to explain to you, what the situation is. Ultimately, while it is unfortunate; this happened to you, @ $3k, you get your car back on the road and a new engine/turbo. I'm sure, the whole bill; is quite a bit more than that. You could have been stuck with 100% of the bill; so, you could be lucky, in the sense, that VW is covering most of the repair costs. Do some research, get the details and maybe talk to VW, then get the car fixed! Good luck! :)

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
III. Reimbursement of Out-of-Pocket Expenses to Repair or Replace Damaged or Failed Engine Due to Failure of the Timing Chain Tensioner and/or Timing Chain:

In addition to the reimbursements and warranty extension set forth above, Settlement Class Members may be entitled to reimbursement of out-of-pocket expenses incurred to repair or replace a failed or damaged engine due to the failure of the timing chain tensioner and/or timing chain within ten (10) years or one hundred thousand (100,000) miles from the date the Settlement Class Vehicle was placed into service, whichever occurs first, as follows:

If the engine was repaired or replaced at an authorized Audi (for Audi vehicles) or Volkswagen (for Volkswagen vehicles) dealer, a refund of the paid dealer invoice amount subject to the time/mileage parameters in the table below.
If the engine was repaired or replaced at an independent service center and not an authorized Audi or Volkswagen dealer, the maximum reimbursement amount is $6,500.00, subject to the time/mileage parameters in the table below.

My only question is about the necessity of replacing the turbo.
Are they trying to find a problem?

I didn't see the whole bill yet, but he said is over 10K.

·
Registered
11,399 Posts
Well, if we are talking about a "oil starvation" issue; then, it is not uncommon, for the turbocharger to get damaged, if there wasn't any oil to lubricate it. Unfortunately, on turbocharged engines; when there is no oil, things tend to end up as a "domino effect" and everything tends to get destroyed, unfortunately, including the turbo. Lack of lubrication, is typically; the reason, turbochargers get damaged and require replacement. $10k is a lot of money; at least at this point, you are not stuck with the whole bill! Again, it's unfortunate, you ended up with this damaged car but it is good, you are not stuck with paying for everything.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Billymade,
THANKS! I have no words to describe how helpful you were.

I got my car back last Tuesday.
It sucks balls that I still have to pay for the problem, but at least I got a new engine and new turbo.
The bill was $2222ish, plus a mysterious front oxygen sensor that rounded up to $2,573.75.

I made a Bank of America credit card with 18 months 0%APR to help me pay the bill.

Now I'm back on the track, just have to replace the brakes and I'll have a "brand new" car.

·
Registered
11,399 Posts
Well, I am glad you are back on the road; thankfully, you weren't stuck with a $10k bill but on the other hand, you still had to pay $$2,573.75 (slightly less then the $3k you were quoted to begin with). It cost you some money but much less; than $10k! WHEW! It was BAD things went south BUT it could have been much worse!

It must be a good feeling; to have the car working again and something, you can drive! :) I'm glad things are finally fixed and functional again. :)

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Bill, sorry to bother again...

I believe you are not the right person to answer this, but I'll give a try.

This is the first page of my invoice and the totals for the job performed...any idea why there is $2286.66 on the Deductible field?

Attachments

·
Registered
11,399 Posts
That is a good question, I'm not much of a bean counter but maybe, it has something to do with how, they are documenting their accounting/costs, for the paid, portion of the vw warranty repairs? They offered you, a certain amount; under the recall/warranty coverage, correct? Maybe, that number, is related somehow or the other way around, the difference, of the costs, you had to pay, outside the coverage from vw? I guess, you could talk to your service writer, that you worked with over the phone or if they can't help, ask to talk to the service manager? Over the years, I had many "free" warranty work done and I saw, a number of costs, printed on the receipts, that were confusing. So, in that regard, you are not alone but I am sure; the service dept., would be willing to going over it with you and explain, what the costs/values shown, what they mean, how they relate, to your total cost paid, out of pocket. I'm afraid, I am not much help but you might contact your vw dealers service dept, you worked with and discuss things with your service advisor, in particular, (they should explain things), that are not clear to you. I have been very confused at times; looking at the receipts, I got back, after repairs but in those cases, they were fully covered under warranty. I don't know, if I have been much help but let us know; what they tell you and what you figure out! Thanks! :)

1 - 18 of 18 Posts