NewBeetle.org Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Banned
1,583 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Riots all over England :(

Started off in London and has now spread all across the U.K.

Spent the night with my girl last night in the middle of it all in London. Not a nice place to be. Tonight we are in a safer'ish place. :)

Yob rule has finally taken over. Can't see the Olympics coming here now. 4th night of riots.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-14453918

Stay safe :)

·
Registered
196 Posts
Yep and all for no good reason! Shows how many have grown up with no respect for authority though...

Take care Blugg, we're in Somerset so a safe distance from London but close to Bristol where it kicked off yesterday too :(

Kate

·
Banned
1,583 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yep and all for no good reason! Shows how many have grown up with no respect for authority though...

Take care Blugg, we're in Somerset so a safe distance from London but close to Bristol where it kicked off yesterday too :(

Kate
I'm now in Oxfordshire, plenty of trees and fields here and not a lot more :)

But i still worry about my girl who works in Central London everyday and her sister. Not to mention my family who are scattered all over England. It's had a strange positive effect, that i'm in contact with friends who i haven't spoken to in ages, hoping their ok :)

Wasn't until i saw this image that it really hit home, just how serious it is now :(

I thought the tripling of the Police would work tonight. Sadly we now have groups of Vigilante's wondering the streets :(

Can't see an end end anytime soon, but do wish it all ends now :)

You take care too :)

·
Registered
444 Posts
So sorry for all of you folks in England having to go through this just now. Please be careful and hopefully things will be calm soon.

I've seen riots in Los Angeles before, more than once in my life. but nothing l like this. I don't recall it, anyway.

What's that about the decline of Western Civilization? If the normally peaceful and calm Brits are rioting, what's next? :confused:

·
Super Moderator
8,908 Posts
Hadn't heard about it until this morning from my Midnight Beast chaps. Sorry to hear, glad you guys are safe.
At least everyone isn't armed with semi and full automatics like here in the states.

·
2,646 Posts
I'm concerned for our English friends right now! This is just terrible and plenty scary--who knows, say we have another hot summer of high unemployment, high frustration, etc. topped off with people being fired up in an election year when we are more polarized than ever and it could happen here in a big way. We actually have seen sparks in Philadelphia and Madison. I read somewhere that the Brits are buying more American baseball bats than ever--somehow I doubt they're taking up a new sports passion. As to the gun comment, I dunno about you, but if I was a criminal, knowing my intended victim may be armed and it doesn't matter that I'm twice their size or half their age may make me think twice.

·
Registered
444 Posts
I'm with you wawalker. I recently read something about just that topic. It seems that the places where the population was not armed had more break-ins. Makes sense. If you are a bad guy, and you absolutely know that the intended victim wasn't armed, then, why not? Likewise, if you see a sticker on someone's door saying that the occupants of this house are armed and ready to shoot to protect his property, wouldn't you think twice? I sure would. Don't mean to start a gun rights argument, but it's coming folks.

·
Banned
1,583 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
I'm concerned for our English friends right now! This is just terrible and plenty scary--who knows, say we have another hot summer of high unemployment, high frustration, etc. topped off with people being fired up in an election year when we are more polarized than ever and it could happen here in a big way. We actually have seen sparks in Philadelphia and Madison. I read somewhere that the Brits are buying more American baseball bats than ever--somehow I doubt they're taking up a new sports passion. As to the gun comment, I dunno about you, but if I was a criminal, knowing my intended victim may be armed and it doesn't matter that I'm twice their size or half their age may make me think twice.
Baseball Bats are up 7,388%
http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/movers-and-shakers/sports/ref=zg_bs_tab Normal people have no protection and shops are looted with little or no protection from the Police. As with the gun comment, it all started from a gunfight here. 2 people have been killed so far, in gun related crime. 4 dead from people using cars as battering rams. Vigilante gangs are now everywhere :( An extra 10,000 Police were on the London streets last night. But how long can the government keep that many around the streets ? Not long i'd of thought.

London was relatively quiet last night. :) Looters and Thugs know all the Police are in London, so have rioted up north instead :(

http://www.boston.com/bigpicture/2011/08/london_riots_update.html

·
Premium Member
4,753 Posts
Been traveling and haven't been able to keep up with what is going on, but from what little I did see and read, this appears to be the unfortunate outcome of the beginning of a Revolution, much as has happened in the Mideast, i.e. Egypt and other countries, where the common people are "fed up and not willing to take it anymore" (the Government and the Bureaucracy)!

Without turning this into a political forum, let me just express that I also believe this to be a preview of what is to come right here in the good ol' USofA. Although people here are much more afraid of their government than in any other country in the free world. Fear being the way our government keeps us in check and is able to force down our throats whatever they want; After all we are all simply led like cattle, somehow believing the politicians in Washington have our best interests at heart. Yeah, right!

Sorry you guys are having to deal with the out of control, mis-directed violence of a few. Glad you are all safe. Unfortunate as the violence is, I hope this will be a wake-up call to your Political Bureaucracy and change will come.

MORAV

1 - 11 of 11 Posts