NewBeetle.org Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Premium Member
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This post is going to show my age, but that's okay.:)
I was sitting around thinking about all the recycling efforts that are around today and something popped into my mind. When I was a kid, soda used to come in glass bottles that you returned to the grocery store to go back to the bottler and be cleaned and refilled. Now you get cans and plastic bottles that end up all along the side of the road. Which is the better idea? We also got milk delivered to the door in glass bottles with a little pasteboard stopper in the top. Also returnable/refillable. It just seems to me this is a whole lot better idea than all this stuff ending up in the landfills. It was one of the most successful recycling schemes ever. I know they are supposed to be recycled but how many people do you think actually do that? I think Coca Cola could have a really good marketing campaign if they would start the returnable bottle program back up. What do you all think?

·
Grandma LOVES bubbles!!
1,450 Posts
I used to work at a convenience store that took the empties back years ago. We had the nastiest room full of returns that attracted roaches and other bugs, because people didn't rinse them out before returning. It also always smelled like old stale beer all the time.....nasty!!

In Maine, we pay 5 cents for each can and bottle we buy. Turn them back in and you get your money back. At first I thought this was not the greatest idea, but I notice there isn't a can or bottle on the side of the roads. If you do toss it out the window, there seems to be someone walking around to pick it up and get 5 cents for it. A lot of the schools have can and bottle drives and do really well. Our local fire department has a large bin at the transfer station (aka dump) to donate our cans and bottles and it always seems full!!:)

·
Premium Member
580 Posts
the bottlers probably changed to the plastic because the cost of sterilization and such for the glass ones was costing more than it would cost to use plastic. only a few states do the deposit and i personally would like to see more get on the bandwagon.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts