NewBeetle.org Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Premium Member
355 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have been a fan of Enya since 1988, and have just purchased her latest CD: Amarantine.
The music is not really what I would normally characterize myself a listener of -new age; but the beauty of the tunes and production sophistication is always superb.
I was also sorry her Oscar nomination for LOTR remained only that -a nomination.

About the artist

Eithne Ní Bhraonáin (Enya) was born on May 17th 1961, in Dore Bartley, a small village in the northwest of Ireland. Her mother was a teacher of music at the local school. As a child, following her mother's footsteps, Enya took piano lessons. In 1986, BBC worked on a documentary series about the history and culture of the Celts. Enya was asked to prepare and perform the music. She accepted the offer, and the series was first shown a year later, by the time Enya's first album, "Enya", with "the Celts" soundtrack was first released. The breakthrough came in 1988. Her famous album "Watermark" became a major success. The single "Orinoco Flow" hit the top of the charts in every country it was released and Enya became a star. Since then, Enya's albums have been sold all over the world, reaching 44 million copies. Enya was a winner of Grammy Awards twice: in 1992 for Shepherd Moons and in 1997 for The Memory Of Trees.

So who else loves melodic tunes by the lass from the British Isles?
Any favorite tracks?
Albums?
Info?

Attachments

·
<-----No More Beetle :(
18,312 Posts
I love Enya! The only time I listen to her is when I need to calm down and relax. Sometimes I listen to her while I'm faling asleep. Her music flows so beautifully and its extremely calming.

Theres a card store near me that I go into all the time and they always have the same Enya cd playing and it drives me nuts because the same song always seems to be on when I go in there...other than that the music is awesome.

·
Premium Member
355 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Enya

Yes... the ever present danger of turning good music into muzak; or worse, overplayed tunes on the radio.
God help us!
You owe it to yourself to get the new release -or ask for it as a Christmas present.

·
Focus twice, shoot once
634 Posts
Good Grief YES!

I have everything she has ever recorded. And several CD's by her sister Marie Brennan. When ever we have company over I load up the changer with Enya ans Andeaus Vollenwieder ( Swiss harpist) When I am doing art work or in the darkroom I play her, or Sian James (Welsh harpist) and Coldplay. Don't get me wrong, I love R&B, soul and a good bit of hard kicking stiff, but there are time when only mellow stuff will do.

Enya was asked how she felt about being sold as a "New Age" artist and she didn't care for the label at all. She said most of her songs are based on Gaelic Hymns and Irish Folk from her childhood.

Do you have a fav song or CD?

You have very good taste:D

·
That Crazy Belgian Guy
2,816 Posts
I just love Enya !

May it be, Wild Child, Once you had gold, and so many others, they're just GREAT !

·
18,312 Posts
FineExampl said:
Ugghhh....can we ban this thread?? Enya irritates me. (running and hiding)
:rolleyes:
Theres nothing wrong with an Enya cd playing softly in the background whilst taking a hot bath and relaxing. It's quite soothing I must say. It's saved quite a few lives. Had I not done that a couple of times I may have committed a few homicides. LOL

·
strange things are afoot
1,535 Posts
if you like Enya, you should also like Clannad. I have their Anam and Banba albums and LOVE them. they even had a song from Anam turned into a VW commercial tune once. "Harry's Game" is the title. I distinctly remember this somg from a MK3 Jetta Ad with the car driving down a road covered in yellow leaves.

love the music of both groups.

·
Premium Member
114 Posts
Been to her home town in Ireland back in 1994...saw her in concert 2 times, met her once while in L.A. ...have all her albums, ('cept for the new one) , and I must admit, my all time favorite is "Storms/Africa"...(but wll I admit to listening to her in the bug, or in public? Nope ):D ...only when it''s time to relax, like after a hard day of work and relaxing in the bath....or when I cant sleep and need to sooth myself to sleep....

·
18,312 Posts
Bananarama said:
Been to her home town in Ireland back in 1994...saw her in concert 2 times, met her once while in L.A. ...have all her albums, ('cept for the new one) , and I must admit, my all time favorite is "Storms/Africa"...(but wll I admit to listening to her in the bug, or in public? Nope ):D ...only when it''s time to relax, like after a hard day of work and relaxing in the bath....or when I cant sleep and need to sooth myself to sleep....
I'm so jealous! I want to go to Ireland so bad! I have some family there that I have yet to meet.
I'm afraid if I go I wont want to come back! lol

·
Premium Member
355 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Enya

Does anyone know where to look for Enya concert dates in the USA?

·
Registered
97 Posts
Taken from the FAQ at Enya's official Web site :

Question - "I'd like to invite Enya for a concert/show. Do you have any information about price, time and so on?"

Answer
- Because Enya hasn't done any concert so far we don't think that you will be successful. You can of course contact Warner Music UK.

:rolleyes:

·
Premium Member
355 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Enya

I searched online ticket sites that said the same thing - Enya
doesn't do concerts.
I also remember reading that the number of times she samples her music means quality of live performances suffers. She is mainly a studio musician. And that is ok too.

But I can wish and hope.

·
Beetleman
430 Posts
:)
Yep, another fan here.
I've always enjoyed her music and have all but her latest CD.
A couple of my favorites are Memory of the Trees and Watermark.

My wife is Irish and we have visited Ireland several times. It's such a beautiful and rich country. Everytime we listen to her music it conjures up memories of where we have been. It's funny, but, each song has it's own "place" on the Emerald Isle.

Must get her newest CD and add it to my collection.

·
Premium Member
756 Posts
I love Enya, as well. I kind of have to be in the right "mood" to really enjoy her music... but it almost always moves me.

In addition to Clannad, you might also enjoy the music from a group called Runrig. Very Gaelic/Celtic... and, in general, a bit quicker beat... for those times when you might be afraid Enya will put you to sleep ;)

1 - 20 of 20 Posts