NewBeetle.org Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all-

I just signed in this forum since I have a 2002 GL 2.0L NB, the car has the EPC light on and engine light on. A previous owner scanned for codes and these were the ones discovered back on May of this year (2011):

PO121=Throttle position sensor
PO221=Throttle pedal position sensor
PO103=Mass air flow -----REPLACED AT TIME OF SCANNED
PO506=Idle Control system RPM lower then Exposted
PO101=Throttle Actuator control motor

Also the car got maintenance for the Thermostat, Flange Outlet, Timing belt, water pump meaning those items were replaced as well.
My concern is that the check engine still on and the EPC is the one that drives the car crazy by cutting his power when driving making me to turn off the car and wait one minute to drive it again.
I read some of the experiences with some of the members of this forum and i did go for the easy way by replacing (yesterday) the Brake Light Switch with a new one thinking and hoping that will resolve at least the cutting on acceleration and nothing.:(
If anybody who understand of codes can help me to see if some of them can be fix by me or i really need to take the car to the dealer.
All help will be much appreciated!:eek::cool:

·
Registered
32 Posts
It sounds very similar to what was happening to my car but I'm no mechanic. Took it to someone who works on VW's and he cleaned the throttle control and she seems to be doing fine now.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Is yours 2002 too?
Was your car cutting off too?
I believe I'm going to have done one thing at the time to see what happen, it is just a drag not able to use your car in an efficient way.
I will take your advise. Thank you for your repply?

·
Registered
32 Posts
mine is a 2001. Check Engine and EPC light came on then it would cut off. Would start back up but would eventually do the same thing again so I only drove close to home. It wasn't too expensive for the cleaning. $95 at a local vw repairman. Good Luck!

·
Premium Member
4,753 Posts
Hello all-

I just signed in this forum since I have a 2002 GL 2.0L NB, the car has the EPC light on and engine light on. A previous owner scanned for codes and these were the ones discovered back on May of this year (2011):

PO121=Throttle position sensor
PO221=Throttle pedal position sensor
PO103=Mass air flow -----REPLACED AT TIME OF SCANNED
PO506=Idle Control system RPM lower then Exposted
PO101=Throttle Actuator control motor

Also the car got maintenance for the Thermostat, Flange Outlet, Timing belt, water pump meaning those items were replaced as well.
My concern is that the check engine still on and the EPC is the one that drives the car crazy by cutting his power when driving making me to turn off the car and wait one minute to drive it again.
I read some of the experiences with some of the members of this forum and i did go for the easy way by replacing (yesterday) the Brake Light Switch with a new one thinking and hoping that will resolve at least the cutting on acceleration and nothing.:(
If anybody who understand of codes can help me to see if some of them can be fix by me or i really need to take the car to the dealer.
All help will be much appreciated!:eek::cool:
Run your codes here for potential causes and diagnosis, then post up your questions.
Category:Fault Codes - Ross-Tech Wiki

MORAV

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I was able to buy a scanner for smallet amount that a dealer was going to charge me and came very handy.
So the first day i scanned and came up 9 codes that later i erased them.
I drove it the next day and the engine light plus the EPC came back. So i scanned again and after doing the same process and went for a third time come back with 3-4 codes repeating and those are:

P1559 Throttle valve control part -J338: Fault in basic settings
P3025 Angle sensor 1(on throttle drive 2 power accelator actuation)-G297
P1545 Throttle valve control system: malfunction
P1171 Angle sender 2 for throttle valve drive -G188:implausible signal

I start believing that my throttle body will be a key point to replace here since all indicate realtionship with that part.

What do you guys think, any advice :rolleyes:

Thanks

·
Premium Member
4,753 Posts
17967/P1559/005465 - Throttle Body (J338): Fault in Basic Settings

Possible Symptoms

• Not known
Possible Causes

• Idle Switch Open or Open Circuit
  • Throttle Valve sticks and won't close
  • Speed Impuls from Engine Speed Sensor (G28) recognized
Possible Solutions

• Perform Throttle Body Adaptation
Retrieved from "17967/P1559/005465 - Ross-Tech Wiki"

17579/P1171/004465 - Angle Sensor 2 for Throttle Actuator (G188) Implausible Signal

Possible Symptoms

• Malfunction Indicator Lamp (MIL) active
Possible Causes

• Angle Sensors 1/2 for Throttle Actuator (G187/G188) faulty
  • Power Supply for Angle Sensors 1/2 for Throttle Actuator (G187/G188) faulty
  • Wiring/Connector(s) from/to Angle Sensors 1/2 for Throttle Actuator (G187/G188) faulty
Possible Solutions

• Check Angle Sensors 1/2 for Throttle Actuator (G187/G188)
    • See Measuring Value Blocks (MVB), usually MVB 062
  • Power Supply for Angle Sensors 1/2 for Throttle Actuator (G187/G188) faulty
  • Wiring/Connector(s) from/to Angle Sensors 1/2 for Throttle Actuator (G187/G188) faulty
Retrieved from "17579/P1171/004465 - Ross-Tech Wiki"

17953/P1545/005445 - Throttle Valve Controller: Malfunction

Possible Symptoms

• Increased Idle Speed
  • Bucking at Load Change
Possible Causes

• Throttle Body dirty
  • Throttle Body Wiring faulty
  • Throttle Body faulty
Possible Solutions

• Clean Throttle Body
  • Check Throttle Body Wiring
  • Check Throttle Body
Special Notes

• Use Meas. Blocks & Basic Setting for testing
  • When found in the NAR 2.0l TFSI: (BPY, CCTA and CBFA) check TSB 01-09-04 or 2018652 for a wiring repair at the Throttle Body.
  • See Throttle Body Alignment (TBA)
Retrieved from "17953/P1545/005445 - Ross-Tech Wiki"

P3025? Where did you find this SAE code listed. I don't find it in the Ross-Tech Wiki or in my Bentley Repair Manual. Is the P3025 a typo?

Just because you cleared the previous codes and they have not reappeared (YET), doesn't mean they are not applicable, they just haven't tripped yet.

You have and SAE code reader not a VAG reader. You may not even be getting all the codes.

Have you performed all the diagnostics for each code? Or do you lack the knowledge and/or equipment to do these? Are you looking for a cure all instead? I'm seeing a recurring wiring issue. Hit and miss, trial and error part replacement is a poor (to say nothing of expensive) way of fixing a vehicle. Wiring problems won't be fixed by replacing parts. And the P1559 indicates performing a Throttle Body Adaptation. Your probably going to need a little more than a SAE reader to do what needs to be done.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Woow is alot of information you give me here.
First i want to appreciate your time for doing this for me.
I want to be honest, i'm learning as i'm going by reading and find out more but i guess i need to learn and read even more :anon:

I bought the scanner and i'm not sure if this is a SAE or a VGA as you mention.
What i'm taking from you is that even if i replace the part still the wiring problems (identifiable by the codes) will still an issue?

I will definetely need a person who can treat this car with the knowledge to fix it and sincerely i do not trust the dealer, becuase they never say the true to you and the cost you a leg.
:cry:
I will take your information to the only mechanic i know and see what i can come up... i was almost ready to buy a throttle body but i guess is not the part but the electronics.

And yes the code P3025 is showing in the scanner several times

Thanks amigo :bigglasse

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
One more thing, do i need a different scanner to do the TBA, is it something i can do or i need to take it to a special place to do it?

Thanks again

1 - 9 of 9 Posts