NewBeetle.org Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My wife has a 2001 beetle gsx. The prob that im having is when driving the anti slip will some one and then the engine power dies, then the car went to having having that issue to suddenly dying in traffic and at stops. Took it to volkswagon and they said it was the maf, I check the maf and it wasnt getting 12v so i added my own 12v+ lol, and now car runs fine for a few seconds then just dies and wont restart. Seems volkswagon didnt check for 12v and was tryin to stick me. Has anyone else had this issue?? Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
100 Posts
I assume that you mean that your wife's New Beetle is a GLX model (loaded with most options, including 1.8L 20V turbo-engine); AFAIK, there is no GSX model. :confused:

A failing MAF has been the root cause of problems as you've described. When the MAF begins to fail, it can be a very gradual degradation. In the early stages of MAF failure, no DTC fault-codes will be logged by the ECU. To take the MAF out of the diagnostic equation, just unplug the MAF when the fault occurs and re-test; if the problem is cleared, order a replacement MAF... :D

Good Luck! :cool:

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
sorry GLX it seems whenever the car stops you unplug the maf and it starts again then stops you plug it back in and it starts again this is the 2nd maf i ordered well..... from ebay thats prob the problem lol. Any other ideas what it could be??

·
Registered
100 Posts
It probably doesn't help to try to troubleshoot an intermittent problem with unknown-quality Ebay parts; get yourself a "real" OEM MAF from one of the forum sponsors (I've personally found the ECS (OEM / Performance Parts for Audi, BMW, Mercedes Benz, Mini, Porsche & Volkswagen - ECS Tuning) folks to be extremely helpful). :D

Hmmm... it could be a fuel supply issue; so it could be the in-tank electric fuel-pump in the process of failing or it could be a plugged-up fuel-filter.

Good luck! :cool:

·
Registered
4,271 Posts
You can guess yourself to death or into the poor house, so don't guess. Just get it scanned via a Vag Com which should tell you a bit more of what the cause might be. I wouldn't always blame things on a MAF. There is a slew of other issues that could cause your problem. Sounds like either a fuel related issue or an electrical one. Your ECU could be another culprit. You just never know until you have it properly checked out. Or you can keep on replacing MAF's just to realize it wasn't the problem at all.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Well my maf isn't getting 12v so I'm thinking relay 109 or relay 428 anyone have any experience with these. The car runs fine thenjust dies so I'm figuring electrical problem.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts