NewBeetle.org Forums banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2001 GLX New Beetle (turbo). A couple months ago the engine started to rumble a bit and the RPM's would vary a lot at low speeds. Restarting the car usually helped but I could still feel the car shake a bit. I got a tune-up, which helped for a little while and the shaking wasn't as bad, but after a few weeks the EPC light came on with the ASR light (triangle with an exclamation point inside it, and an arrow going around it); usually when the EPC light goes on the car jerks and slows down a lot. If I pull over and restart, the EPC light goes away but the ASR light stays on and often the EPC light returns after a while.
Finally the check engine light came on and I brought it to a shop where they cleaned out the throttle body. The car was running great for a while but the EPC/ASR combo has returned.
Anyone have a similar problem? I've heard different theories but I really don't want to waste money and trips to the dealer making blind attempts to fix the problem, would love to have a clear answer!!!
Thank you in advance. I want to be able to enjoy and love my Beetle again, hassle free!

·
Registered
762 Posts
Without seeing the car first hand... my input is a best guess based on information provided by you and past experience.

O2 sensors share a 5V circuit from the ECM that is used for the throttle body and accelerator pedal. I've seen many cases where O2 sensors can fail (or have physical damage) where the car has the EPC light come on, fault code for the throttle body and/or accelerator pedal.

It is common for people to report that the problems are very sporadic, that maybe every 3 to 3000 miles the issue can occur. That cycling the ignition on and off a few times might help as well. When the problem does occur, lack of power, like there is no turbo, or no response from the accelerator pedal.

Take a very close look at the O2 sensors, many cases report physical damage to them, but not always. If you go to replace the O2 sensors, OEM only, don't waste your time on cheap junk. Also note that the ECM can be damaged due to bad O2 sensors, frying the 5V circuit.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts