VW Beetle Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello I got in my beetle and was driving to Walmart and the EPC light came on. The car started running choppy. So I got to Walmart can went in and came out and it started right up. got home and parked it. So I went out in the morning and it cranks but just wont start. I looked everywhere and tried a lot. I cant move it to get a VAG COM reader on it. I need help plz.

·
Registered
15,839 Posts
Without reading/know what the trouble codes are; it is hard to know what the problem is. You might try a "hard reset"; see if that helps, to get you to somewhere you can scan it (remove pos/neg battery cables, touch 30 seconds; reinstall on battery).

There could be a wide range of problems (crank sensor, fuel pump, immobilizer etc.); get it scanned and let us know what the codes are. If you this ends up; being into the next week situation; you might buy a cheap vw scanner like the vag405 or the new version vs450 and have it sent to you overnight (both less then $50).

·
Registered
15,839 Posts
DTC P0233 Fuel Pump Secondary Circuit Intermittent (vw code: definition)

Other sites with more infp/definition possibilities:

P0233 - Throttle Position Sensor 2 Circuit Low

PDF Share Code

0 P0233 Comments | Add Comment
Possible causes
- Faulty Throttle position sensor
- Throttle position sensor harness is open or shorted
- Throttle position sensor poor electrical connection
Help with Possible causes What does this mean?
When is the code detected?
An excessively low voltage from the Throttle Position Sensor (TPS) is sent to Engine Control Module (ECM).
Possible symptoms
- Engine Light ON (or Service Engine Soon Warning Light)
- No throttle response
P0233 Description
Electric Throttle Control Actuator consists of throttle control motor, throttle position sensor (TPS), etc. The throttle position sensor responds to the throttle valve movement.

The throttle position sensor has the two sensors. These sensors are a kind of potentiometers which transform the throttle valve position into output voltage, and emit the voltage signal to the Engine Control Module (ECM) In addition, these sensors detect the opening and closing speed of the throttle valve and feed the voltage signals to the ECM. The ECM judges the current opening angle of the throttle valve from these signals and the ECM controls the throttle control motor to make the throttle valve opening angle properly in response to driving condition.

Read more: P0233 Throttle Position Sensor 2 Circuit Low OBDII Engine Light Trouble Code | Engine-Codes.com

Generic OBD Error Code Details for P0233
Fuel Pump Secondary Circuit Intermittent
What does this mean?
OBD Code P0233refers to
The powertrain control module (PCM) provides ignition positive voltage to the coil side of the fuel pump relay. When the ignition switch is first turned ON, the PCM energizes the fuel pump relay, which applies power to the fuel pump. The PCM enables the fuel pump relay as long as the engine is cranking or running, and crankshaft reference pulses are received. If no crankshaft reference pulses are received, the PCM de-energizes the fuel pump relay after 2 seconds. The PCM monitors the voltage on the fuel pump relay control circuit.
Symptoms
Possible sumptoms of OBD code P0233
- Engine Light ON (or Service Engine Soon Warning Light)
Causes
Possible causes of OBD code P0233
- Open Inertia Switch - Blown Fuel Pump fuse - Open Fuel Pump Monitor Circuit - Open Fuel Pump Control Circuit - Faulty Fuel Pump Relay - Damaged PCM. The Error code is generally activated on detection of the following conditions: The code will be set if an intermittent voltage on the control circuit of the fuel pump relay is detected by the PCM.
Possible Solutions
For some FORD models: 1. Disconnect the inertia switch harness connector. 2. Turn key to ON position (Engine OFF) 3. Measure voltage of circuit between inertia switch harness connector and ground. 4. If battery voltage is found, replaced Inertia Switch. 5. Clear codes.

QUESTIONS:

1. can you hear the fuel pump turn on; when you open the door/turn the ignition switch to "on"; if not, then....

a. test wiring/fuel pump connector for power; check service manual for electrical testing procedures. It will walk you through each procedure; step by step (e.g.: fuel pump connector, fuel pump relay, fuses etc.)

2. If the fuel pump is turning on and seems to be working; have you tested the fuel pump pressure; is it within spec?

1 - 4 of 4 Posts