VW Beetle Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So as of today we've got some problems with my 2000 beetle. It was driving around fine and got to a parking lot and would not start for anything. 10 minutes later it started up, so I took it for a few laps around the parking lot and it seemed fine before shutting it off again. It started back up fine.

Went and did some shopping, come back out and it will not start, again. At all. Got the car boosted from a nice stranger and it fired up, but the EPC light is on and it's in limp mode, running very rough and obviously on the backup map.

What can you geniuses tell me? From some quick googling I've seen everything from ignition stuff to the engine speed sensor being potential culprits. This thing has been a major pain this fall and has been in and out of VW technician's a bunch lately, so I want to try to avoid taking it anywhere unless it's unavoidable.

Thanks!

·
5/23/10 <3
11,417 Posts
I would start by scanning the car for codes.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
It's posting SEVEN of them. Never seen so many codes in my life. Now, two I already know about, and according to my VW Tech are related to a malfunctioning O2 sensor that I haven't replaced yet. Those would be the first two, P1137 and P1127.

P1127
P1137
P0103
P0300
P0301
P0302
P0304

All of them seem to be cylinders misfiring except for that goddamn p0103, which is a MAF thing. I hope it's not the MAF, because I just replaced mine last year. As well, the MAF is doing its usual cry-fest, which is to set off the EPC light AND the ASR light, which it was doing last year before I replaced it.

Also perhaps worth noting that today is a very rainy/foggy/humid day in the midst of the usual snow and cold, and I've been told moisture could be a potential factor in all of the misfires?

·
Certified Arcade Tech
416 Posts
It's posting SEVEN of them. Never seen so many codes in my life. Now, two I already know about, and according to my VW Tech are related to a malfunctioning O2 sensor that I haven't replaced yet. Those would be the first two, P1137 and P1127.

P1127
P1137
P0103
P0300
P0301
P0302
P0304

All of them seem to be cylinders misfiring except for that goddamn p0103, which is a MAF thing. I hope it's not the MAF, because I just replaced mine last year. As well, the MAF is doing its usual cry-fest, which is to set off the EPC light AND the ASR light, which it was doing last year before I replaced it.

Also perhaps worth noting that today is a very rainy/foggy/humid day in the midst of the usual snow and cold, and I've been told moisture could be a potential factor in all of the misfires?
We just had the exact same thing happen with our 2.0 2001 yesterday. It was running super well with all the work. Left the car sit for a few days..and yesterday was 100% humid... foggy....just moist/damp.

Needless to say? We did our recycling run and the car did nothing but miss-fire and set code(s) I have yet to pull. I think it's safe to say our coil pack most likely is taking a crap. I hosed it down with mist spray of water when we made it home and it passed that test---but I couldn't spray 'under' the pack to see if the problem is the bottom side.

We're going to pull it later on when we have some sunlight and inspect it for carbon tracking. My gut feeling is that we have a hairline crack, maybe on the mounts..

S-

·
squirreljuice
391 Posts
I mentioned this in one of my posts that teddy is helping me with, that I have heard rumors that a faulty fuel pump relay can cause all these symptoms and codes. I would recommend ordering an OEM one, should be about $40 bucks, yank the old one out from under the dash and put the new one back in and see if that helps. I am about to swap out mine and see if that takes away some of my codes.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
A late update for you all...

Was away on holiday and not driving the car, so there it sat. Pulled the codes again this week in an attempt to clear them and regain the use of my ASR (which is disabled when the ASR light is hardcoded on). Pulled but ONE code this time. P0103.

So evidently my MAF is the culprit here. Not seeing any symptoms except the EPC/ASR/Check engine combo that comes along with MAF failure. I'd know, I just replaced mine last December. Sigh.

So I'm going to put the misfiring/stalling/associated codes under the heading of 'random one-off occurrence' because the car has not had those problems since then. Weird.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts