NewBeetle.org Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have an automatic 01 beetle and it recently started acting up when I turn it on. Both the EPC light and the traction control light are coming on, and the engine revs itself a few times before stalling.
I took it to a mechanic twice in the last month for this problem but it persists. the first time he replaced the throttle control sensor and this last time a vent hose. I have also Changed the brake light switch myself because someone else told me that might be the problem.
I have an appointment with the dealership on Friday to get it diagnosed but if it turns out to be something I can do it myself I would really like to try and save some money since I've already spent so much on this problem.
any suggestions would be appreciated. Please help, before I go broke!

·
Registered
762 Posts
Based on what you describe, a few different things could cause this:

Failing ECM.
Poor ground connection.
Failing O2 sensor(s).
Wiring harness issue.
Failing Throttle Body.
Failing Accelerator Pedal.

Sounds like fun doesn't it? Based on what I've seen lately, if the wiring between the Throttle Body and ECM checks out, I'd suggest O2 sensors.

You may find several faults for the Throttle Body and putting on new Throttle Bodies does nothing, so then the ECM gets swapped out, same issue still.

The O2 sensors can screw with a 5V signal that goes to the Throttle Body, but the ECM doesn't know the signal is screwed.... but the ECM does see the signals coming back from the Throttle Body and says, "Crap... that Throttle Body is screwed.... Panic Time.. daa daa daa da da daa.. can't rev this... Panic Time..Whoo whoooo woooo wooo... can't rev this."

Then maybe 10 minutes later the car runs fine.

I think it is time to take my meds again.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts