NewBeetle.org Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
228 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So my '02 TS has been sitting in my garage for a few years, waiting for some much-needed renovations. One of the projects I've been itching to do is upgrade to the K04 and build a TT-killer. But one aspect of this that I've always wondered about is equal-length headers. They're getting very hard to find pre-made, although I'm sure I could have one made custom somewhere. Even so, are they necessary with a turbo..? And do they even fit in the engine compartment of a TS..? Thanks.

·
Registered
50 Posts
I don't think it would be worth it. Probably the exhaust manifold is pretty efficient. From past experience with a turbo Kawasaki, you're probably better to spend your money on performance ECU upgrades, and the tube from the turbo to the intake. Maybe a larger turbo, and more boost. The ECU remap will do the most, tho.

·
Registered
228 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Well it would be a nose to hole project, with all intake and exhaust parts upgraded, including the ecu. As I understamd it, one can use stock Audi parts from the mk2 TT of the same era, but I thought a few nicer bits for some of them might be nice, one of them being the header.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Are you thinking about the OEM k04-02_ turbo upgrade from the mk1 Audi TTq225? It’s mostly plug and play LEGO parts from that’s specific TT model to get the better increase in power.

There is a k04-001 turbo that’s supposed to be an upgrade to the k03s in our TurboS. I read that it’s hardly worth the money, unless you’re only interested in replacing a blown stock k03s, because fewer parts are needed to be changed.

I’ve collected used OEM Audi TTq225 parts for the k04-020 swap:

*Borg-Warner k04-020 turbo
*coolant and oil lines
*exhaust manifold
*downpipe section
*386cc blue-color injectors

What I need:
*matching turbo intake pipe (of choice)
*matching MAF sensor + housing
*upgraded Intercooler (of choice)
*weld the existing exhaust system and cat to the k04 downpipe
*rerouting coolant line and oil lines